10 Out of 10 with Darrell Thorp

Next up in our fourth instalment of 10 Out of 10 is someone particularly special, with 9 Grammies to his name! It’s Darrell Thorp! Let’s see what Darrell had to say.

What’s your full name?

DARRELL FREELIN THORP

How many Grammy awards have you won and what for?

9 TIMES
BECK “COLORS” BEST ALTERNATIVE ALBUM BEST ENGINEERED ABLUM
BECK “MORNING PHASE” 2015 BEST ENGINEERED ALBUM BEST ROCK ALBUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR
MOLOTOV “Agua Maldita” 2014 BEST LATIN ROCK, URBAN OR ALTERNATIVE ALBUM
SWITCHFOOT “HELLO HURRICANE” 2010 BEST ROCK OR RAP GOSPEL ALBUM
OUTKAST “Speakerboxxx/The Love Below” 2003 ALBUM OF THE YEAR
RADIOHEAD “HAIL TO THE THIEF” 2003 BEST ENGINEERED ABLUM

What’s something not many people know about you?

I served in the US Navy for 4 years as a radar and communications operator.

Which artists have you worked with?

Beck, Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Foo Fighters, Brandi Carlile, Dave Grohl, Priscila Ahn, Holy Bouncer, Chris Shiflett, Anderson East, Atoms for Peace, AIr, Foster the People, Charlotte Gainsbourg

What’s the best thing about being an audio engineer?

Seeing and hearing something created from an idea or a couple of chords on a guitar, piano. Then in a few hours, or days hearing a completed song. The pay off is hearing a song on the radio, tv or seeing the video online.

What’s the worst thing about being an audio engineer?

The Hours. The hours can be and are kind of crazy sometimes. Not much downtime when im working on a project or projects.

What did you think when we contacted you regarding Liberty 2 Pro and why did you agree to work with us?

I was open to the idea of continuing the conversation. What sold me was hearing older versions of the Souncore series and really enjoying them. And I am still using some of the older products especially for traveling and noise cancellation when on a plane.

When you first heard Liberty 2 Pro in its final form what did you think?

WOW !! This is BIG. !!!

Have your impressions of Liberty 2 Pro changed or have you noticed anything new?

I have been really enjoying using them from day to day. I love the way the LIBERTY PRO 2 sound and how comfortable they fit in the ear.

Any other comments?

instagram
@darrellthorp

website
www.darrellthorp.com

3 Likes

Thanks so much, Darrell!!

Thanks for the insight Darrell :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for sharing this Q&A with us! Thanks for your service in the navy Darrell :+1:

Working with Paul McCartney sounds pretty cool :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great Q&A with Darell, thank you Darrel and @Loz for sharing this with us!

The guys in this series of audio engineers remind me of football OG and OT. They do not get all the glory that the QB, WR and RB may get but are responsible for making them look ordinary to great.

Thanks for some great work for clients

These are starting to run together a bit. I get the point, but might be time to branch out to more professions.

Cheers for sharing :muscle:t2: