8 extinct instruments mankind forgot how to play

2 Likes

Some may be wishing more of the bagpipes didn’t make it… lol.

Didn’t know Bach had a horn either.

Good share

2 Likes

I did think those horns were interesting. I can see why some potentially phased out (ie the harp types).

1 Like

Nice share. Interesting reading

So interesting! Had heard of the Biblical ones but definitely not Mayan Trumpets… :thinking: Shame, especially the harp types as I think the harp is a beautiful instrument and you can never have too many stringed instruments in my opinion! :smile:

And you wonder what will come in the future. I think that the instruments we use today are probably based on the wealth and extra resources we have to spend on making them and learning to play them.

Horns were literally that - animal horns. At least initially. And when replaced with metal, they were still a fairly simple design and build process.

Stringed instruments require more effort to build and maintain.

From here I could see things getting more advanced physically, or going much more virtual (electronic instruments that can make any sound you can imagine).

1 Like

You can already get so many electric versions of instruments. Although, some are not particularly new! Have you ever heard of the Theremin?
In pre-Covid times there’s usually a busker in the city where I work who is well-known in the area for busking with his electric violin. He’s very good and he has even released music and does concerts etc but he likes to still come back to his roots and play on the streets where he started out sometimes.
I do hope that we still continue playing and hearing the traditional instruments as well, they have a different feel and sound to them. Fake drums and other faked instrumental sounds on tracks just sound inferior to the real thing!
Not massively into country music, only certain songs but I think it’s important to preserve the genre as it should be and originally was. Unfortunately, there’s more and more pop influences when it’s not really supposed to be like that.
I particularly remember this video from Grady Smith, he’s done more recent videos on the shift in country music charts to a more mainstream sound or country/pop mashups, but this was the video that brought it to my attention.

1 Like