Are You Ready to Cringe?

Hey guys,

Research for this blog turned into a bit of a cringefest as we all shamefully admitted our first albums. Not only is it a definitive indication of just how old someone is, but it was a purchase that came before anyone had a real idea of what their music taste was going to be.

In the Soundcore office we’ve got metalheads whose first record was Britney Spears and pop fiends who had Led Zeppelin forced on them by an overzealous parent.

Fortunately, my first album wasn’t too bad; Americana by The Offspring. And considering I’ve been a fan of alternative rock ever since, it wasn’t such a weird choice.

But what about you guys? Anything embarrassing you’d dare to admit? And be quick! The very concept of buying an album is getting more and more old-fashioned by the day (#sigh).

4 Likes

When I was a kid in the 70s I do remember listening to a little Elvis and I did have an 8 track tape of his songs. My earliest record was around 5 or earlier when mom played Chipmunk’s Witch doctor (I guess it is my earliest record.

My other early album was Johnny Horton. I love the catchy tunes as a toddler of Battle of New Orleans n Sink the Bismark.

1 Like

When I was a kid I got a gramophone, really a type like this one:

And I got shellac records (78rpm)
Not so many, most old ones from before 1950
BUT there was one record I liked:

I even found the record. :rofl:

record

Of course not mine, it broke someday! :sob:

2 Likes

Less Than Jake defined my teenage years.

image https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR7u8eIGs2MOY4pqyjVrdw9stz2JRkjjy7tJA&usqp=CAU

The first album I remember really loving was ABBA’s Greatest Hits. My parents used to play it all the time in the car :laughing:

1 Like

Its still worth to play and listen to ABBA.
They made absolute perfectly made music.
Very sophisticated.

1 Like

I still love listening to them, their songs never get old.

2 Likes

I dare someone to have a “cringier” first album. Good Luck.

To my defense, my second and third cd I purchased was at the same time. Metallica - Refuel & Green Day - Dookie

1 Like

Not sure there is that much to cringe at in here. But I definitely don’t remember which album I bought first; I did learn about bootlegging and mix tapes early on, borrowing friends tapes to record mixes of my own.

1 Like

Rick Springfield “Working Class Dog”

I was a HUGE fan of “Jessie’s Girl” as a kid (I was 5/6 when it was released) and my parents bought me the album. I still have it in a small stack of vinyl that I can’t listen to.

1 Like

Chipmunk Rock and Mickey Mouse Disco ftw!!! Also got my first KISS album when I was in kindergarten.

I was 10 years old!

First album I ever owned was Edgar Winter’s White Trash. Still a great record.