Best ways to stay awake and be alert

We all have some important projects or items that we work on with tight schedules, what are the best ways to stay awake and be alert. I have these kind of requests come once in, may be couple of months, which tend to extend over the night and early day. I usually go for espresso between couple of hours, end up have 5-6, but this keeps me alert.

Wanted to explore thoughts what all other members do, may a tip / trick for me or others to use.

1 Like

Go to sleep when tired.
If tired you produce a many errors which take you a lot of time to correct.
You will not win anything if working exhausted.

Otherwise if you searching for a certain solution and got really stuck to.
Its better to stop any research and get your head free by doing things you like.
The next attempt will often lead you a solution.

I could you give tipps for efficient programming too, but this would lead too far,.

1 Like

these are most of upgrades, maintenance, migration which need to happen during weekends and nights :frowning: and no option to skip those… need to make sure these go as planned else more stress during the day :crazy_face:

During other times, i relax and sleep peacefully :smiley:

1 Like

I find being a robot helps the most with not needing such trivial things like sleep.

1 Like

once a while for work is fine, but regularly doing this is not advice-able, but do like your thought

OK I understand better now.
We call this “Harte Termine” = Tight deadlines.

This is often more than stress.

When working I had to do maintenance as well.
But we used mirrored systems.
So we could test the one updated a lot before changing.

1 Like

Plenty of water, well placed caffeine breaks and a few small 5 minute timeouts every couple of hours to stop, sit and breathe or do some stretches / push ups is my usual trick :wink:…minimum of 6 hrs sleep a must :grin:

1 Like

Ice cold water, avoid soda and sugary drinks. If drinking coffee try to drink it black as you wont crash after it wears off

1 Like

Number one thing to stay awake and alert is to simply keep your eyes open…:eyes:

1 Like

Matches are useful sometimes!

1 Like

@ndalby Water and Caffeine is a good combination, i do these, plus i walk around with my wireless headset … and once done with all the work… take a good 12 hour sleep :smiley:

@tank completely agree with black coffee (espresso) does help !

@Chiquinho @SZak2015 you guys mean like this :crazy_face:

or like this :point_down:

I knew someone that worked as a trucker, and when he started to get tired while driving he would hold a $100 bill out of the window to help keep him awake. I thought it was a bit extreme, but apparently it worked.

1 Like

Water is key to staying awake as it freshly hydrates you, couple that with the ice and it’s like a kick shock to your stomach and internals when you drink it. Thus keeping you awake longer

2 Likes

I have used that trick to stay awake before myself. I try to stay away from energy drinks and coffee, but I have used them before.

1 Like

Fred Flintstone knows how to use this method as well…but I would think his toothpicks would be more painful than matchsticks. :wink:
fred-flintstone-animation

1 Like

Must admit, I couldn’t be of.any use.

I’ve done.jobs where I’m meant to stay awake.all night… But never made it.once!

1 Like

:+1: will give it a try, seeing one session come up in the next month

Either coffee or a Monster energy drink!

1 Like

I even.fall asleep while drinking.double esspresso or energy drinks!

I have (amongst others) a sleep disorder, which is why I’ve never been allowed a driving license

1 Like

some people never get sleep or try hard to get sleep without much luck, you are in some ways lucky, though the driving license thing is not so good :frowning: