Bitrate and what it means and sound quality

I had found a good article that runs through the differences between audio bitrate and such…

Worth a read if you are curious about the new ldac codec…

2 Likes

Wow I can’t believe I haven’t been able to relay my knowledge from classes into this even with similar terms :man_facepalming:. But thank you for sharing that!

1 Like

I’ll probably give it a read later I know a decent amount but not enough to say I’m experienced in this topic

2 Likes

A very interesting article :+1:t2:. I read the whole. Thanks for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

When we did music encoding, we never went past 192kbit/s. Could have done 276 at the time, but file size vs discernible quality improvement was nil…

2 Likes

So the improvement in sound quality is only theoretical.
It seems to me that what we hear from the CD is for the human ear the maximum possible.

2 Likes

Very well could be. I would say for most people out there, having bitrate at or around that 192 kb/s is good enough. If anyone wants more because they can actually hear the difference (i.e. audiophiles) they already have better products for their own use case so Soundcore shouldn’t really bother with it.

On the other hand, people also like seeing higher numbers for absolutely no reason like 4k laptops which would honestly look very similar to 2k or even 1080p imo

2 Likes

Nice article, thanks for posting it!

1 Like

Vision and sound are processed differently in humans.

The vision is a two-pass process where effectively what you expect to see is modifying what you see. This means our vision is slower to process than sound. To compensate, the brain spools the last few seconds of sound so they merge.

2 Likes

Just got to finish reading it really nice share. Personally I’m no audiophile and while my hearing is good some of the high end expensive stuff just isn’t always for me because I can’t tell much a difference. Thanks again for sharing this with us

4 Likes

Most of us are not able to hear the difference.
Even if they think they do, its only imagination.

The first loss is to compress and digitize the original sound track
for the CD production.
And if ripping that CD to mp3 there is more loss.

Looking at the frequency response curve of a vinyl recording
and compare to that of the CD copied from this record you will see the difference.
Its visible but not audible.
Even worse is a mp3 one.

You really need an exceptional hearing ability to recognize the difference,
its another “dynamic of the sound”.

I don’t hear it of course. :grin:
Only the “real vinyl lovers” do that. :joy:

2 Likes

@Shivam_Shah , @Chiquinho
My brother has high-end Hi-Fi equipment. In order to be able to hear all - even the smallest - sounds in perfect quality, he listens to music only on weekends. He is then relaxed and his hearing “refreshed” and can hear the most
gentle and subtle sounds. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Try the “Pepsi challenge”

Do a blind trial and play different quality and see if actually detectable.

1 Like

@Chiquinho, @scelestus
Let’s stop talking about music quality for a moment, because today is our big day: your Bayern and my Lewandowski!
After 50 years, the record Mueller was broken in the 90th minute of the match!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

One must not forget the wunderkind Davies… he is a great addition to Bayern…

But great milestone achievement for Lewandowski

1 Like

LewanGOLski is the best

2 Likes

“LewanGOLski”- super you came up with it. :clap:

2 Likes

The first one told this was Muller

2 Likes

@TheSnarkyOne Yes Davies :+1:t2:, that’s a very good Canadian defender.