Charging on q30 soundcore question

I only have 5v 2a adaptor. Is it okay to use that? Because in manual it say required 5v 0.6a adaptor.

2 Likes

Yes it’s OK. The Q30 will only draw the current it needs. Your adapter can supply up to 2 amps. Think of your home. You might have a 20 amp circuit, but each appliance you plug in only draws the amount of current (Amps) it needs.

PS I plug my Q30 into a Anker Powerport 10 that can supply either 2 or 2.4 amps per outlet and it works great. Bottom line is what you have will work fine.

2 Likes

Thank you… It help me a lot!

2 Likes

Will work, and there will be no damage to the headphones.
They will adopt only the power they need.

Semiconductors.

They are a resistor so current does not flow unless a small voltage is applied then it flows normally. So the electronics can control their own current. The transistor is a sandwich of 3 materials which together control current.

However voltage, if it is high enough can jump past the middle of the transistor sandwich. Spart gap.

So what you must focus on is the voltage from a safety perspective. Higher voltage can blow break. But higher current cannot.

So in this case you need 5V 0.65A, and have 5V 2A. Well the 5V is the same, so safe. All the 2A being more than 0.65A means you have more capability, more headroom, than you need. It is still safe just the charger is running at roughly a 1/3rd of it’s capability.

You see this headroom on current / amps all the time all over. e.g. your laptop charger may have 20V 3A output but most of the time your laptop is full and is taking 20V and much less than 3A as it only needs say 0.5A. Similarly if you were to find a 5V 0.65A USB charger, as your Q30 moved from empty to full charge, it’s current would drop from 0.65A. So headroom is very common, in fact all your chargers are working at less than capability nearly all the time.

So same voltage fine, higher current fine.

The example above of home electrics is partly true. All the voltage in the home is the same and goes out in rings,e.g. kitchen sockets rings. But if you were to take a purely USA view of 115V and take an item, like a hair straightener to Europe where it is 240V you’d break permanently the item.

So my reply is less wrong than others but plenty of people run careers on deep electronics and electrical knowledge so I keep it to as fewest words possible here.

But you may ask “what about these 5V/9V/15V/20V chargers”. Well they have more complex electronics which negotiate and send the voltage the receiver has confirmed they can accept, so both sides have verified safe. Example negotiations over protocols include Power Delivery (PD), Quick Charge (QC) and a few more niche ones like VooC, DASH, etc. For these they play safe, if they don’t see a handshake agreeing say 9V, they will send only 5V which is the common denominator. Doesn’t apply in your case but I’m writing for future readers to find.

Some ways which rare you can break something is if you cut off and attached a USB socket to say a 9V source and spliced the ends, like a barrel charger which assumes the source is only compatible and doesn’t negotiate, i.e. a non-USB charger. You used to see them many years ago not now.

Having more current than you need does no harm (but more voltage is harmful). If you get less voltage than you need then it simply will not work. If you get less current than you need it will probably work but just slower. So in the correction of the partly true home items, if you were to do the opposite of take a 240V item to USA it would not break but simply not work. But like the 5V/9V/15V/20V example if your electrical item had 115/240V written on them they can handle moving countries.

Agree with others. You can use any charger on any device. Device’s controler will take as much “eletricity” as much needed.