CNET Coverage of Sounscore Launch of Products

Anker introduces 5 new Apple AirPods competitors

The company rolled out three new true-wireless models in its Soundcore Liberty line, including the new Liberty Air 2, as well as two sports models in its Spirit line.

From left to right: Soundcore Liberty Pro 2, Soundcore Liberty Air 2, Soundcore Spirit X2 (with hooks), Soundcore Liberty 2, Soundcore Liberty Dot.

Anker is all-in on true-wireless earbuds. The company showed of five new models at an event in New York City, with prices ranging from $50 to $150 for a more premium model, the Liberty 2 Pro, which is being billed as offering audiophile-grade sound and looks a little like the Sony WF-1000XM3. Most of the new earphones will hit stores in October.

Anker’s most popular true-wireless headphone to date has been its Liberty Air, which features a similar design to the AirPods but has a noise-isolating fit (its ear tips seal off your ear canal) and costs half the price. The new Liberty Air 2 ($100) has been upgraded with USB-C charging and wireless charging, better battery life and improved call quality, as well as a classier looking matte finish.

Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2

I got a chance to try early non-shipping units of both the Liberty 2 Pro and the Liberty Air 2 and liked their fit (I was able to get a secure fit with a tight seal) and was generally impressed with what I heard. The Liberty 2 Pro is supposed to compete with higher end models that cost over $200, and it definitely sounded better than the Liberty Air 2, which doesn’t seem to sound noticeably better than the original Liberty Air.

Anker is touting the Liberty 2 Pro’s new Astria Coaxial Acoustic Architecture driver technology that helps create more refined and open sound. At first listen, I didn’t think the headphone sounded quite as good as the Sony WF-1000XM3, but the unit I was listening to wasn’t final and will get some further sound tweaks before shipping.

I’ll take a deeper dive into all the new Anker Soundcore true wireless once I get my hands on final review samples but for now here are their key specs, according to Anker.

Liberty Air 2

• Diamond Coated Drivers for accurate audio reproduction

• HearID personalized sound profile

• cVc 8.0 and four noise-canceling microphones for crystal-clear phone calls

• Qi Wireless charging and USB-C charging

• Support for aptX

• Bluetooth 5.0 with Push and Go pairing technology

• Up to 7 hours of playtime (45% increase from 2018 model)

• 28 total hours of playtime with the case (40% increase from 2018 model)

• IPX5 Waterproof rating

• Price: $100

• Availability: Early October at Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon.com and Soundcore.com

The Liberty 2 is $100 and doesn’t sound quite as good as the Liberty 2 Pro.

Sarah Tew/CNET

Liberty 2

• 10mm Diamond Coated Drivers for accurate audio reproduction
  • Support for aptX
  • Up to 8 hours of playtime (32 total hours of playtime with the case)
  • GripFit Ear wing technology for secure fit
  • IPX5 Waterproof rating
  • Availability: Early October in Walmart, Amazon.com and Soundcore.com; early November at Best Buy

[

11 PHOTOS

Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro

](https://www.cnet.com/pictures/anker-soundcore-liberty-2-pro/)

Liberty 2 Pro

• Astria Coaxial Acoustic Architecture (ACAA)
  • Large 11mm dynamic driver combined with Knowles Balanced Armature
  • Support for aptX
  • GripFit Ear wing technology for secure fit
  • Up to 8 hours of playtime (32 total hours of playtime with the case)
  • Qi wireless charging
  • IPX4 Waterproof rating
  • Price: $149.99
  • Availability: Preorder on Soundcore.com on Sept 26; available on October 8 on Amazon.com and Bestbuy.com

The sports-oriented Soundcore Spirit X2 costs $100.

Sarah Tew/CNET

Spirit X2

• Earhook form-factor

• 12mm composite drivers

• Soundcore BassTurbo

• Soundcore BassUp – bass-boosting technology

• Up to 9 hours of playtime (36 total hours of playtime with case)

• USB-C charging

• IP68 Waterproof rating with SweatGuard

• Availability: Early October on Target.com; October 20 on Amazon.com and Soundcore.com

The Spirit Dot.

Sarah Tew/CNET

Spirit Dot 2

• 8mm Diamond Coated Composite Driver surrounded by elastic material for full and rich bass

• Soundcore BassUp bass-boosting technology

• AirWing cushion for secure fit

• Up to 5.5 hours of play time (16 total hours of playtime from the case)

• Fast charging while docked (USB-C charging)

• IPX7 Waterproof rating with SweatGuard

• One-step pairing with Push and Go

• Price: $80

• Availability: Mid-October on Amazon.com and Soundcore.com

Reference

Interesting. Up at the top it calls those buds the liberty dot, when it’s the spirit dot

That’s cause they dont know how to edit before publishing stuff

1 Like

The Liberty 2 Pro :heart_eyes: , another set of buds to add to my list :grin:

1 Like

Buds, buds, buds…

More buds than buddies! :rofl::rofl:

Too many options now I need more research to decide what to buy :roll_eyes:

As much as I want all of them, I have only use for the Spirit X2, and the Liberty Pro 2…although my son wants the Air 2

So many options!

Options are good, different earbuds to cater to various users needs

Not for all.
Newbies will need help to find the right tree in this forest. :grinning:

2 Likes

Well I’m new but I just decided to start at the top with the Liberty 2 Pro. I am one who appreciates audio quality quite a bit so I’m hoping these are the ones for me!

Might like to get the Air 2 for my wife one day, have to see.

I do like the photos in this article. For whatever reason in the pics the charging case for the Pros looked pretty large before when I purchased but in these photos it appears smaller. Looks good, now I wait for them to arrive!

Yea I also thought the photos originally made them look huge, but after seeing them in the case and in someones hands/ear they dont appear that much larger to the liberty+ and Neos I have.
The airs are great and hoping the air 2 is better with its diamond coated driver and hearID.

1 Like

I think the spirit x2 will be pretty good since completely wireless