Community improvement - Suggested incentive changes

The proposal is to ditch the leaderboard.

The risks is then instead of being explicitly an individual, it moves to multiple accounts. That would tend to cause a more random outcome bias to those who put in multiple accounts for collective gain.

The alternative is keep as is.

I think it is moot on this occasion, I can almost channel the owner who says that is one of the many types of events and competitions and each has its risks of gaming, and so I’d expect it discussed and ignored.

In a people-process-technology triangle, the process outlives the person, so we speak in process terms as the unaltered process just carries to a different person eventually. Technology would struggle with the multiple accounts issue anyway.

The mention of Anker community, to my knowledge only 1 person won ever one gaming, and the last two times they tried they didn’t win. Didn’t ban the member (as the process sticks even if the person changes) as they’d just appear as another member exploiting the same process flaw. That is why looking at patterns more than individuals has been the discussion.

Unrelated to gaming is total content and structure, the decision in this community is utterly different, more of a brand focus, and keeping all topics music related, which narrows and hence shrinks content. So total content different is not a surprise and the intention.

1 Like

@chiquinho Not quite nothing at Anker. Powerdraws and auctions and testing club are a draw for some. Two of those require a bit of grinding for bucks.

@The_Professor - I hadn’t considered multiple accounts to game a non leaderboard system with several entries. Interesting thought. Hopefully most of the issue can be resolved with some basic IP checking (one entry per household), or they verify that the address for the winner isn’t the same as another one they have shipped to before with a different name. Probably still better than the current system with even basic checks.

@Duane_Lester The more complex the system, the easier it is for a few to find a way to optimize it. Keeping it simple puts everyone on more even ground. I like both of your suggestions, particularly Option 2.

The system may be unlikely to change, but at least the issues with the current one are well out in the open, so they have the details if they look into a change.

If I could request one relatively small and simple change - set up the leaderboard prizes before the month starts to appear immediately on the new leaderboard. And use the “upcoming” tab in the giveaways (ie, post the next one before the previous one ends). Might make a difference to how many are trying to optimize each month.

1 Like

If you like option 2 to push more to comment then the simplest is remove points for thread created so a thread is only created for its own needs sake. Which was suggested higher up.

Currently the daily max points is 25 excluding manual rewards.

All systems can be gamed, you can just tweak it for community benefit which I suggest leaderboard scrapped and remove points for new threads. Leaving everything else as is. As the leaderboard is a tiny part of monthly prizes it is a moot point but the new threads points does cause (seen twice today) just a new thread to be caused to farm points. Moderator closed threads seen today.

His option 2 is basically the lottery I asked for, with qualification based on comments and not points. Then you can leave the points alone otherwise.

1 Like

Was surprised to see email from Soundcore Community (mostly because my name was tagged :smiley: )… I am logging to Soundcore to actually read and reply after quite some time…

In my opinion, Soundcore is doing a great job with good products, media publicity, social media and artist engagements …and Soundcore “Does Not Need” to incentivize anyone for being active here with the LeaderBoard points… and it is high time they replace it with some other (or something like PowerDraw on Anker) The LeaderBoard Prizes have to go away, replaced with something of tickets, which will be somewhat similar to the PowerDraw in Anker Community…

It was good towards the launch, but with Soundcore maturing and becoming a well known brand, this leaderboard has to go away, and Soundcore needs to focus on “Quality” threads instead of whatever posting happens with Reviews and Deals.

We (at least I) have been asking for a change to the Leaderboard… If Users need to post any queries, they would post it and other members would help…

Whatever we say here will not change anything, until Soundcore team reads and decides what makes more business sense …

To be honest, I am bored of seeing external content posted into Soundcore community… something more original or useful to Soundcore Products and members need to be posted here.

My 2 cents…

3 Likes

Apart from a checkin feature like I had suggested prior to 2.0, here is another possible what to introduce variance on the leaderboard with minimal effort.

For the activities that reward points, like replies, shares and new threads, have the awarded points be a randomized whole number up to the max. This would allow for all three activities to remain as part of the community for points.

I.e. reply - 5 max in 24hrs for points
- allocation of random formula roundup((rand(2)+1),0)
- gives max of 2, but could also give 1
Share - 1 max in 24 hrs for points
- similar formula with max limit of 10
Create - 1 max in 24 for points
- similar formula with max limit of 5

Granted my formula above my be totally wrong, but shows the idea.

Would involve minimal coding to points value, and would not require changes elsewhere. It would also generate discussion or excitement as you’d never know if your next thread or share would give the max. You would also avoid extra work for somebody as the system would do the work…

This would give the variability one seeks without doing away with the current structure.

This may draw more activity and those posting have a reasonable shot or chance as outside of special events or weekly bonus activity.

Not sure if those would need to be similar with with a higher lower limit so somebody doesn’t get to be untouchable.

Key would be to ensure the points chart shows as a MAX of X points per activity so nobody cranks on being shorted points, being unaware.

2 Likes

Exactly @jercox . The comment are like an activity powerdraw. Once you meet the threshhold you are in it to win it. :rofl:

I set the bar low enough that you do not need to be here every day and to not to transfer the issue to comments hopefully as much or it will hide the issue better (:rofl:) . It does not require you to be on the community all the time. It would require you to be in the community at least at least 12 day out of the month (5 comments a day x 12 days= 60.) They may want to push that to 75 (or 15 days). So you can get on 15 days meet quota and leave for 15 day, come every other day, or continue to be on here daily and interact with others and only do two comments a day vs 5 comments if you decide to do the other ways.
It should keep traffic flowing into the community.

I think leave the topic 5 points alone. It is only beneficial to newbies than regulars and will help the sales as well. They may level up 3 or 4 levels and can get a quick 10 or 20 dollar notes if they needed it thus increase sales as well still .

It may move the issue to the comments but hopefully it will also spur new people to become more interactive to make comments. Thus increasing communication with others and adding people to the community.

To keep points for topic or not it would be a moot point as people will be focused on comment. If people wanted to still post it would be the same as Anker but I would guarantee that it would not be as many in the current system. .

I also think you will see post for sales, reviews of the earbuds and such will continue.

For the admin, they can sort by comments, count the number of qualified folks and do some randomized software and there are your winners. It could be for both prizes and giveaway tickets. (I am more fond of the drawing a name out of a hat, personally :smile: ) . No need for them to re-code again.

1 Like

So after 18 users have shared their views across 57 posts, is there any consensus we’d agree on to keep community?

I’m seeing a path through to consensus, anyone else see it?

Some changes are easy, the points system is easy to change, that’s just the multiplier in the counting, as is the points used in leaderboard. Much else is getting complicated.

We could use a poll for suggesting changes but wondering can be avoided by agreeing on a change?

Do we have a quorum on

• remove incentives for threads so threads exist for their own reason. Solution: remove points on new threads.I suggest this seems agreed?
  • Leaderboard, keep (but on different criteria), I don’t see a consistent view here, I see the side where if you don’t reward one person on points, then you reward on multiple accounts instead.
  • anything else?

Remember this is code which outlives individuals, some people come here for interest and leave and return naturally, but the code keeps running.

If you do remove points on new threads, then you can reply instead in existing threads on specific topics, then users can mute a topic, hence you get can in effect sub-groups where those interested in a topic can discuss it and those not interested can ignore it. You stop all the faff most finding boring occuring at the top problem.

You will make it quieter too. So there’s a risk.

You cannot stop the noob, creating a thread for quick answer not searching, but over time as threads become deeper with replies, those searches can become better so noobs get help faster.

1 Like

Bear in mind seemingly the focus is on leaderboard and incentivizing users.

Any change to revise points awards will also impact levels and ability to gain.

Removing or modifying points for activity, may require a rejig of level requirements. Maybe not an issue for few, it also could be issue for few tooo.

1 Like

Wasn’t expecting to get tagged in this which is weird. I was only able to get the top post based off referrals when I got my family and most co workers to join, since then I don’t really make many topics I usually get on the monthly leaderboard based off shares and comments trying to help people. I’ve been more focused on the leveling up aspect of the site for a while( idk why) since I don’t try to get the most points in a month.
I don’t really see much changing since the have updated to 2.0 feel like it should have been done at the same time.
At the end of the day we are a family( as @Chiquinho always says) coming together for products we enjoy from a company we like and helping each along the way.

4 Likes

I see consistent agreement that the giveaways should be

1. Distributed among a wider group of active community members
  2. Not encourage point farming / head to head competition among users.

A lottery among active users with some criteria for activity fits those. I like @Duane_Lester’s simple criteria on comments.

I don’t see agreement on removing points for threads. v2 already reduced points without fixing the leaderboard, and slowed people’s ability to level up . I think because of that people are leery of suggestions that reduce the totals even further.

Any individual point reward is a small incentive and likely isn’t causing the problem here, just as it isn’t at Anker. Making those points the margin between winning a nice prize or getting nothing is what drives this I believe.

3 Likes

Eye! I made no new threads and got to 9.

Yea without making threads you can stay in the top 10 for now.

2 Likes

Top 10, yes. Top 3, not quite.

1 Like

Well it’s too late now but perhaps I should find some boring Ariande Grande thread post to clutter the community with?

You’ve made your point, as so have I.

1 Like

https://people.com/music/ariana-grande-doja-cat-and-megan-thee-stallion-tease-3435-video/?amp=true.

:rofl: I think I found you one. :rofl:

I wonder how many lbs of “paint” the “beauties” are waisting every day. :rofl:

do

Someone in “China” (you can change your country from default) is creating an account a minute now, for 2 hours.

https://community.soundcore.com/g/trust_level_0?desc=true&filter=1113&order=added_at

Quite remarkable.

Given they’ve created an account a minute solidly for last 2 hours, implies it’s a bot. That implies anything based on points which is not talent based is going to be bombed. This is the preamble for the bot to then do something with their accounts. A bot created account gets 50 points, 10 notes which be exchanged for giveaway tickets.

I’ve checked the other communities, this bot is not running on them. So there’s a deliberate plan of attack being developed for here.

Typically the level of skill required to make a reliable fast bot means the person is not seeking the relatively low cost Soundcore prizes, rather they are seeding accounts for bigger plans, e.g. to spam the community during a product launch.

2 Likes