Community improvement - Suggested incentive changes

Thanks for the added depth.

So the issue is Amazon to some degree.

Why don’t you ditch Amazon Live instead? Fewer / different rules? Youtube comes to mind. Google Hangouts. Zoom…

Same effort, just different, ideally better, constraints.

You can then refer to any product in any country.

It’s for Soundcore fans, or Anker fans, not Amazon fans.

So why Amazon?

Good to know you can squish jerks faster.

2 Likes

Easier to show case products on amazon since they are all listed there. Easier for sales as well. You don’t have to go far to get the thing being show cased.

3 Likes

Amazon just so happens to have a HUGE sales vehicle built directly into the platform. I can highlight products below my face and when people click on them… It takes them DIRECTLY to the sales page… Compared to YouTube for example which streamers put links in the description.

1 Like

So if I understand, part repeat back to you see if I got it:

• You (Soundcore, Anker) like Amazon Live platform as you link to products you sell. After all, you’re paid to sell.
  • but Amazon Live is USA only, of which peak times are the ones you hit
  • Amazon Live comes with some constraints which drive some behavior like the odd giveaway to artificially drive up viewers.

Correct?

1 Like

You can go to the livestream even if you aren’t in the US I know I’ve seen @TheSnarkyOne there and the professor and neither are from the US. So if you have questions you can totally come and Adam will do his best to answer them

1 Like

Yes you can log into amazon.com using your credentials from other Amazon sites… I.e amazon.ca

I’ve posted how to some time back, and will edit in the link if so requested.

edit to show link

1 Like

That’s what I was going to suggest but I hit 5 replies for the day yesterday and was going to post it today. They can still have Thread of the Week but we know most of the point farming thread don’t get selected anyway so people wouldn’t spam threads unless it’s really really interesting. That reduces threads by a lot and keeps community free of unnecessary clutter.

Wait they use algo there?? What do top ten of the month get there anyway? (not that it’s something you need to have there but I didn’t know about any kind of algo used)

2 Likes

I understand what you mean and I’ve seen you post it earlier. My suggestion for having 2 stream for US-friendly and EU-friendly times wasn’t for Amazon live but a proper Q/A or discussion type stream for Youtube. Shouldn’t have to be weekly but maybe bi-weekly or monthly would be nice. Of course Amazon Live is convenient for you (company) and there are times when people don’t have proper questions you can answer on stream so that’s the reason you can have these Youtube livestreams that can be discussion only

Lol I was missing a comma. Anker does it for top for the year but it could be applied to a monthly basis as well I would assume. But they used to do a top ten or top twenty would get a surprise gift for the year on the Anker community . They didn’t this past year not sure why but they use some algorithm to take into account a bunch of factors which I figured could be applied here as well just on a monthly basis

2 Likes

Well, glad to see this is getting so much conversation. The live stream thing was a bit off topic, but appears to be cleared up now.

@Logically and @ktkundy - I would be on board with getting rid of the 5 points per day for posting threads. I would guess there would still be plenty opened - there are a support requests and product questions every day, plus occasional high interest information, reviews, and truly good deals. Thread of the week is still worth trying for, and the bar for that is much higher - a review, some big soundcore news, or lots of discussion. There would still be no shortage of threads to reply to / share on social media.

@Logically I would add to your view of who is making how many threads - there were 6 people making one thread a day until the 18th when it was announced there would be one prize this month. Then two just quit completely, after 17 in 17 days. Both also basically stopped replying (17*5=85 replies) and one stopped even visiting - both show in your screenshot. I think that change in activity is revealing.

@TheSnarkyOne I am assuming all of the active members only have one account, not sure of the relevance of that comment. Having multiples wouldn’t get you higher. Sorting by read shows similar results to other activity based sorts, so not sure what you mean there either. The top 20 most active are pretty similar most ways you sort the list, except for a few who visit daily and not much else - I assume those are just daily sharing a thread for the points.

There are a number of formerly active people who are still visiting, but basically stopped talking. @TechMan, @star100, @Dez_S, @ndalby, plus @chiquinho cutting back, and others on the list when you sort by visits. They are still stopping by, but not finding it worthwhile to participate as much anymore.

I have come out ahead in the current system, but I am still looking for change because I think that system is bad for the community. That might tell you something - the way things are going, I see myself joining those inactive ranks soon. Whatever changes are made, I am looking for two things -

Fewer bad threads with no or low quality responses.
Rewards that go to different people each month, distributed among those who are most helpful and not just the best at optimizing their activity.

I would hope to see changes of that type encourage more good activity from less active people, and discourage negative activity from really active people (by not rewarding it).

7 Likes

I’ll be back soon. My lack of recent activity has nothing to do with the point system or the like, but due to being so busy IRL.

3 Likes

Excellent analysis. You are a credit to the concept of community.

Your analysis of those who engage primarily to purely get free product is clear.

The proposed change to remove the disincentive to engagement from the non-regulars is proven. The “why bother” argument of no chance of getting into leaderboard, means just a tiny amount create most of the content and squeeze out anyone else seeing a reason, is proven.

I suggest the argument to remove the leaderboard prizes and reinvest the prize budget in some other way, is proven beyond shadow of doubt. Of course you’d expect, logically, a small number to disagree.

I also see what you did :slight_smile:

image image imageimage

image image

2 Likes

@jercox did you just make a thread to close it :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Nice thread :rofl:

1 Like

Something wrong is going on while community looses active members. Should try to improve situation.
Should say finally received rewards for my 3 weeks old nomination. Thanks.

2 Likes

Any system will be gamed, and those who game most often will get better over time. Oh look, the same couple of people win again.

Over in Anker community, the gaming was killing content (they were allowing points for new threads hence lots of new threads vs search and reply to best match). The way to reduce the effect was to limit how many (done here also) but also to then use a random selector rather than a leaderboard (not done here). So long as you have a leaderboard, the most adept will keep being the same small group who out do each other alternating months.

By all means give points, but then randomly select afterwards, which is I believe how the Giveaway is done, those with most points would tend to be be picked more often. Currently the best at gaming wins at the leaderboard. If it was random then the best at gaming have a higher chance of winning but all it takes is many other members all less active to produce more likelihood of someone else.

Also note gaming works best with fewest gamers, hence there is an incentive to not make the community inclusive.

4 Likes

@The_Professor A randomly selected winner from those who are at least moderately active is exactly what I am pushing for - glad to hear you are on the same page. No leaderboard required - individuals just need a way to see they qualified for the month, or how much is left to do. No direct competing between members. And no need for gaming as long as the bar for qualifying to be in the drawing doesn’t require it. I want to see more active members and a greater diversity of winners.

@VertigoXX I have found in the past that a nudge is sometimes required to get rewards points, certain wins don’t give them automatically. Glad to hear your comment above did the job. I had a win this week where they didn’t automatically show up right away, but duane’s apparently posted immediately and jumped him to the top of this month’s new leaderboard.

In the new system, “of the week” wins would still be valuable - but mostly for the notes that come with them, and less for the points that only slowly improve your leveling up time.

@ktkundy @Logically The process is silly, I thought my posts could be too. Glad it provided some humor.

4 Likes

I’m just don’t have the time to read/reply in here or Anker at the moment. I have both sites in one of my bookmark folders that I open everyday hence the visits and if I remember I do a share on social but that’s it.

We are currently in lockdown in the UK and to be honest I’m struggling with trying to work from home along with home schooling 2 kids - my brain is frazzled by 4pm. I’m longing for the kids to go back to school so I can get an hour or so to myself in the afternoons after I finish work!

Interesting reading through this thread and wonder if/what changes will actuall happen…

10 Likes

Thats not easy.
But you will make it.

There is hope!
We have to believe in, thats all we can do!

4 Likes

:arrow_up: Same here, with little sign of things quieting down any time soon :anguished:

4 Likes