(EDIT I finally got it to work) Update for Motion+ has a bug (v45.49)?

I tried updating one of my Motion+ yesterday and it kept hanging up at ~97%. The speaker would shut down. Then when I turned ir hack on it would finish, then tell me I needed to Update it again. The firmware shows it’s still at 37.38.

PS I tried it a couple of times and it was taking well over 30 minutes each time. I cleared the Data and re-downloaded it with the same results.

If anyone from Soundcore still visits their own site, you might want to look into it.

UPDATE:
I tried again but this time I had the speaker plugged in and surprisingly it worked. The only thing I can think of is maybe it was shutting it self down when it wasn’t plugged in because it was taking so long. It’s all a bit strange.

1 Like

I would send that to service@soundcore.com as you know they are taking a break right now… :smile:

1 Like

Reminds me of my days fighting with MS updates.:laughing:
One bug got fixed but this fix created new, “stronger and better” bugs.
That’s modern software engineering! :joy:

The funny thing is, I am now in computer engineering since about 45 years.
Nothing changed, nothing better.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Update is supposedly to fix bugs, not be a bug. :thinking:

PS The only real negative is now when it starts up it plays the startup tone really loud.

1 Like

May be that’s a Wakey function included!:rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

When now the time shows up in a display on the speaker we all know :
The art of update has reached its absolute top.:rofl:

1 Like

Now it says “At the tone the time will be 10:20 BEEP” :rofl:

1 Like

UPDATE:
I tried again but this time I had the speaker plugged in and surprisingly it worked. The only thing I can think of is maybe it was shutting it self down when it wasn’t plugged in because it was taking so long. It’s all a bit strange.

3 Likes

Never wonder about those things.
I dont do that since many years.

Good tip, often these things work better while powered.

Funny the bug fixing is buggy. Bad testing!

1 Like

The strange thing is it’s only .63MB (less than 1MB). Small as updates go and it took by far the longest of any update to apply (30+ minutes).

1 Like

Bad connections,
Server probs.
Not unusual.

Well I downloaded the Update to my phone and I had the phone leaning against the Motion+ so I don’t think it was any of what you mentioned.

I think it might have been the speaker powering down because of how long the Update was taking to apply. I need to check what the Auto Off is set to (I never change those). I’ve also never had an Update take that long (they always say 10 minutes and it’s always way less - same phone being used to apply them).

I recognized :
If there is a new update for ff or chrome announced by LINUX.
and one does that immediately the download takes an eternity.

After a few hours its as fast as usual.
This was my idea.

The more downloaders the lower the server.
If there are too many : the server brakes down.

I get what your saying but the Update itself downloaded to my phone very quickly (seconds). Then I had to apply it to my speaker from the phone (at that point it’s not connected to the server - it’s just my phone connected to the speaker) - that’s what took forever. It makes no sense that it took that long to apply a very small Update.

1 Like

Ok now I got it!
Bt connection Phone -to speaker.

1 Like

OK, I figured out what was happening. The Auto-Power off was set to 30 minutes, but the Update for some strange reason was taking longer than that to apply (I still don’t understand why it was taking so long for a small Update to be applied).

However when you plug it in the Auto- Power-off seems to be disabled. So I’m assuming I could have just changed it to 60 minutes and it would have worked. I’m updating the Red one now and I just plugged it in to be safe. It’s also taking awhile to update.

EDIT The Red Motion+ finished without issue since I had it plugged in. It also took around 40 minutes.

1 Like

It’s worth saying you should always do all updates for all technology while on power, regardless of product type.

That’s because there’s always a chance of power off during an update and can brick a device in worst case.

So I’m always doing updates powered.

2 Likes

Well I always have the Earbuds in the case so that would be powered. I’ve never had an issue because Updates are usually less than 5 minutes to install. This one is definitely an outlier. I still can’t figure out why such a small update took so long to apply? :thinking:

PS Both of mine took about the same amount of time, so I’d definitely recommend having it plugged in when doing this update!