Faking Traffic Jam / Congestion on Google Maps!

Found this interesting read about the Map Apps, how these track data and how easily these can be tricked to create an “artificial” congestion

2 Likes

how interesting :smile:

1 Like

LOL That is awesome. The use of technology against us in the most simple way.

Hmmm I have a red wagon. I will need about 20 or so Flare 2 to pair together to go around making my neighbors think I have a rocking stereo system. LOLOLOL

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: your neighbors will want to come join the party

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I am going to make a sign for the red wagon. I am going to call it the party wagon.

2 Likes

I read this article and how easy it is to simulate fake scenarios .

2 Likes

Applaud his efforts both with respect to digital art and as a means to evaluate and improve current systems. While I’m sure Google has thorough testing procedures, whether they went to such lengths as this are doubtful (otherwise it wouldn’t have worked as it did). They (and others) best be paying attention to embrace the opportunity for improvement that has been revealed.

2 Likes

It is so simple for creating a chaos, congestion… hope Google and Apple take note of this to overcome such instances… this was a trailer for what is to come in future…

1 Like

True ! With minimal efforts.

1 Like

I thought this was pretty funny. I don’t think it is a great vector for a widespread attack given the hassle to do it, but as an experiment / performance art it is great.

If one man can accumulate and do this trick, what stops sophisticated groups from doing the same? These are very much possible…

1 Like

I expect to see this in the next oceans heist movie. Clear a road by convincing Google it is blocked.

1 Like

Just think have a road cleared cause it thinks it’s blocked. Or force people down a certain path for what ever reason you can think of good or bad. Kinda crazy how that can be an exploit.

1 Like

May be it’s time to go back to the GPS maps lime Garmin or TomTom, which do not rely on Google or Apple… But there too may be some hacks for it

In fact there may be a way to do it without having 99 phones. Hacking Google and manipulating data

1 Like

That’s funny and cool at the same time.

It also shows how easy it to trick Google Maps.

I do find both Waze and Google Maps traffic alerts to alert us to late. Normally getting the alert as we hit the tail end of the traffic jam.

2 Likes

So all should take a look when someone is strolling around with such a carriage.
I have one. But dont have that pile of smart phones.
%24_35

2 Likes

Too funny!! I wonder what else we could do to trick technology?!

1 Like

I see a flaw in your carriage anyway. Some of the phones might escape through those rails, then you would have little kids following your phone / bread crumb trail.

hameln

You know the story oft this flautist?