FBI warns that smart TVs can provide hackers a window into homes

Another of updates for all the Smart TV Owners (including me), we know Vizio TV was secretly collecting data, now this extends to other operators

I have 100% blocked all internet communications from the Vizio Smart TV … just made it dumb… no internet for it… and even sometimes when I do … do it only for the firmware updates…

Hope all of you take note of it!

1 Like

What else is new?

2 Likes

Instead of stealing someone’s remote just hack it. Could be a fun way to play with people.

1 Like

Its pretty simple… we know its easy to hack the Wifi Passwords (if someone is already into hacking), scan the network, find the Smart TV, install the spyware, easier of its Android version, send data back to hacker,

If needed, setup botnet, and send 100s of emails, till your IP is blacklisted

Hackers getting into Smart TV… account credentials for services such as Disney+ or Amazon could be hacked ever so easily, i hope they dont store it as plain text for caching :crazy_face:

I have Vizio TV and i’m not aware of this going…
how do you connect to YouTube if you don’t connect it to your wifi??

1 Like

This doesn’t astonish me at all.
There are many who like to be watched when watching.:wink:

1 Like

I am somehow not surprised at all with it. I had an issue with my Sony TV and the agent was able to remote into it and take control, so anything in-between that connection can probably be compromised.

2 Likes

I use Roku and Fire TV to connect… also, if you have an internal DNS server, you can sniff the traffic and allow ONLY the required traffic for Google / Youtube… its tricky, but possible ( i do it) - then yes, you can allow Internet on Vizio it…

Also on the System - disable advertising option

1 Like

I had setup Video Calling via Raspberry Pi on the Vizio TV (some weird config I hate), and migrated to Asus ChromeBit with Google Hangouts… have the Camera closed now :smiley: … though all this has no direct connection to the Vizio TV, except for the HDMI port

1 Like

As the old adage goes, if your device is connected to the Internet it is a doorway just waiting to be opened by someone other than you…

1 Like

But in this connected world, there is nothing much that can be done… :frowning:

Nowhere is safe :sweat:

Unless we…
giphy%20(22)
:yum:

3 Likes

I’m not that good with router settings, but can look into it to see if I can manage to do that. Thanks :+1:

I just got an amazon Fire TV Smart TV for the home gym and found it annoying that they automatically saved my Network Password to my Amazon Account. Now I need to figure out how to delete that password from Amazon and change the login then block Amazon from collecting the new password.

Once again, add the Smart TV to its own network block access to the rest of your home network. Lock it down even more by blocking internet access to the TV and give it access when you stream.

If you take a look at the router protocols you find out a lot of the network traffic.

1 Like

Thank you @Chiquinho will take a look sometime during this weekend. Getting too busy on weekdays with a lot going on…
I will have to give you trouble again if I’m stuck :wink:

1 Like