How is TikTok Changing the Music Industry?

If you haven’t been living under a rock over the past few years, you’ll be aware of TikTok’s astronomic rise and how it’s helping all kinds of creators connect with huge audiences, but how is it helping musical artists?

Viral Dance Challenges

Last year, a TikToker named Haley Sharpe created a dance to Doja Cat’s song “Say So” and it went so viral that Doja Cat invited her to be in the song’s official music video and the dance was incorporated into the choreography.

The song currently has over 13.1 million videos on TikTok and over 835 million streams on Spotify. As a result of success stories like this, record labels are getting TikTokers to promote new releases with dance challenges to help them go viral on the app.

Old Songs Going Viral

Remember when Dreams by Fleetwood Mac suddenly got popular again because a guy filmed himself drinking cranberry juice on a skateboard while it played in the background? Sound implausible? Well, that’s the beauty of TikTok, where ordinary people have just as much chance to go viral as larger creators and songs from the past do.

Launching Careers

Lil Nas X released his song “Old Town Road” back in December 2018 and in February 2019 the song started to go viral on the app. Cut to the end of the year, the song had been number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 17 weeks and officially launched Lil Nax X’s career.

Creating a Community with Your Fans

TikTok is a great way for an artist to interact with their fans. On Friday, we’ll be delving into this further in our interview with Hannah Dorman, an artist who performed as part of #SoundcoreSessions last year. Since we first met Hannah last year, she’s created a community of over 200,000 fans on TikTok so we wanted to find out how she did it and what it’s really like.

And it’s not just a great platform for artists to interact with fans, Soundcore has recently launched a TikTok account! You can check out some of our videos here:

Fastest unboxing video

Cool tricks you can do to store your headphones

Funny scenarios

In the future, we’ll also be doing livestreams for new product releases, so make sure you follow us at @soundcoreaudio on TikTok.

Have you ever discovered any new artists on TikTok? Who would you like to see join us on our livestreams? Let’s chat in the comments :point_down:

3 Likes

Thanks for the post @Winniew95
I do have TikTok account but I am not active there. Probably I am too old for this kind of social media.

1 Like

No artists but I have discovered different music genre’s or long forgotten (sea shanties anyone?) I’m too old to be heavily involved with TikTok, but I appreciate the medium for discovery.

1 Like

I personally love all the tech videos and life hacks videos you can find on there!

Such a great tool for grassroots musicians too!

2 Likes

I have soundcore and Hannah liked on tiktok although I have no specific tiktoker to recommend.

Maybe soundcore can create a tiktok trend someday.

1 Like

I have noticed TikTok’s meteoric rise in popularity. I had already seen the Skateboarder video to Fleetwood Mac’s Dreams. :+1:

1 Like

My daughter uses it and likes it very much. I haven’t used it yet - I just have to see it.

1 Like

I have started once I got my oldest did. Although 18, I still wanted to know he was doing the right stuff.

I have started once I got my oldest did. Although 18, I still wanted to know he was doing the right stuff.

My wife and I also try to control everything related to the dangers of the Internet.
This is a difficult contemporary problem.

1 Like

Easier said than done most times

landenpurifoy

Was scrolling through some Tiktok and saw this guy with a live stream randomly show up on the feeds. He has 3.1 million following him. He was doing sing or something…caught at the end of his show.

Not sure if he is good or not but may be a lead for you