Latency often been discussed here

There are so many questions about latency.
I found there is a possibility to adjust with VCL.
Haven’t tried,
Who did?

I told you I am using PulseEffects now with LINUX.
Unfortunately it seems I am the only, lonely one using this fantastic tool.

I found this Verzögerung = latency :smile:https://forumus-uploads-production.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/6/3/630425dd9889b6a43590816327218a340e95356b.png

As it works system wide it seems to be a perfect possibility to do some adjustments.
I will try this when watching a video via YOUTUBE.

5 Likes

VLC is pretty good. May have to give this one a try someday.

I really would do it.
Its the best tool I ever used
and I have been playing around with others ( eg. VLC ) a lot.

1 Like

You can adjust timing of Audio and Subtitles in VLC. It’s really a handy App.

VLC is cool app. Thanks for sharing

I am aware of this and use it sometimes.

Most here are streaming music where latency isn’t an issue but some are streaming video with DRM where they can’t use VLC.

Now here is my concern - I have plenty of Soundcore products and use for DRM content using Netflix and Prime, BBC, Channel 4, etc. I use youtube.

I don’t suffer latency issues.

So I have a growing suspicion that the claims of latency are due to the humans not using their innate ability to remove latency.

The human brain has a very complex visual cortex it takes substantially longer to process an image than sound. The brain thus stores sound and delays merging sound with visual to resync. So the people who complain are causing the issue by suppression of natural ability.

Complaining is in effect causing the complaint.

Dont think so.
Often this is really evident.
Of course when listening to music nobody cares.
But watching movies its not neglectable.
Even when watching a video when a piano is played I see it.

Read it.

When people say the sound adds latency often means it has less latency than what they are used to, and so if you insert latency it makes the issue go away.

So the opposite of what is claimed.

Reading will not help, better is listen. :smiley:

The brain stores sound for 4 seconds

One reason we do that is you cannot tell what a human word is until you’ve heard the end of the word, so it stores from the beginning sound til the sound ends, then processes it, then merges it with the image.

I am being serious, the human brain is moving sound around in our perception and so it’s quite easy for a person to think there’s latency in a sound product when it’s just as likely a perception issue, why some say latency bad, some don’t notice it, as the actual latency is the same but the perception is different.

Hope those who are claiming the latencies will believe and will not claim these issues any more.
I don’t mind as I am listening to music mostly so such latencies are not essential.
But as said in the topi,c there are tools to get these problems improved.
Too bad there are no LINUX-ers here, they could try that tool I was talking about and see it really works!
Others Using MS / OS or Android should look for fitting solutions offered by the OS they are using.

It’s good the tools exist but it’s mostly pointless and causes things to get worse.

Out of sync is the norm, our brain modifies the sync, without it we’d be walking around continuously see things in real life, no computer involved, complaining about they are out of sync.

In sync is an illusion created in your brain.

Simpler sounds are processed faster and so are stored so “added latency” before being merged with images. Complex images are processed slower so similarly latency is added in our brains.

Our eyes are continuously moving but the non-changing part of the image are ignored and made to be “static” and we see movement as the difference between images.

Reality is an illusion created in our brains to survive, what we see is older than real than what we hear.

We also “see what we want to see” in that the raw image from the human eye is too complex to process. It is pre-processed in the thalamus where the impact of threat is assessed, then the most threathening parts are sent to the visual cortex who then selects which part it wants to see, then the thalamus sends that subset back.

So depending on how you feel about the image, impacts what you see.

So someone’s expectations of music, their expectation of the corresponding images, impacts the processing speed so latency is unique to the person.

One way to prove this to yourself is watch someone speaking in real life, then pretend it’s being watched through TV, then ask yourself if the sound is in sync with the image. You can pretty easily convince yourself the sound is out of sync…

And before I drop this topic, explain why you don’t actually hear an echo when you hear a sound near you, the sound arrives in one ear before the other ear, but you do not consciously detect that, because the latency is hidden from your consciousness you just “know” the sound is on the left or right.