Liberty 2 Pro vs Liberty 3 Pro - Volume and sound

Don’t own either.

But it makes sense for the smaller L3P to be quieter as there’s less mass to resist bass. They’d have to reduce max sound to make them less distorted.

Just remember what sound is, an alternating air movement, you can see it physically with a speaker which is waterproof.

If you want loud, you need a physically larger speaker, i.e. over-ear.

However, human perception is adaptive, in the same way your eyes can see in darker over time, ears can hear quieter sounds when it is quieter, so the ears adapt. If you listen to louder sounds you temporarily dull your hearing, and if you do it often enough that damage becomes permanent. So if you see louder sound you’ll just spend later life saying “what?” but not even know why.

Your comments about smaller earbuds equating lower volumes would make sense if technology never improved. But technology does improve over time, so it is possible to make smaller earbud components that perform the same or better in newer models. It is a reasonable expectation that the L3Ps should be AT LEAST as loud as the L2Ps.

I am not interested in over-ear headphones. Notice that I didn’t say the L2P’s weren’t loud enough.

I have made 53 trips around the sun. I have been listening to hard rock/heavy metal music since I was a teenager. Generally, I will listen to an hour or two at high volume on the L2P’s occasionally. As far as I know, I have not suffered any significant hearing loss in my life. To be honest, I believe that my hearing is quite acute. My hearing is fine, but thanks for the concern.

In my very first post, I noted that the L3P’s were not as loud as the L2P’s and I stated that the L2P’s actually sound better and fuller. I stand by those comments.

Other posters, who were able to do side by side comparisons, have agreed with me.

2 Likes

You can’t alter physics, a lighter bud has to physically vibrate worse and lose sound. Always will , it’s physics.

That’s not saying that’s the cause but a possible reason.

I just received my Liberty 3 Pros today. I am very impressed with them. It’ll probably take some time to adapt to them. I can tell right now that this version is pretty much the same in terms of sound quality as Liberty 2 Pro. There’s a slightly noticeable difference in sound with the Liberty 3 Pro when using the 3D Surround Sound setting. Overall, the L3Pro is minimally louder. I already noticed that the Electronic music setting has higher bass input than Liberty 2 Pro. Neither the current model nor Liberty 2 Pro was as crisp on the loudest setting on my Huawei P30 Pro using the Electronic music setting. But that’s totally fine because maybe I haven’t adjusted my built-in Dolby Atmos settings to concurrent with the Soundcore application. Anyhow, I will have to test that next time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have the L2P, L2P+, and L3P\ and heck I even have the L3P Beta (I was a Beta Tester).

To me there is no comparison. The L3P’s blow the L2P out of the water. I like the L2P+ better than the L2P and I like the L3P best of all.

It might be because my Android Phone (LG G8) has LDAC and so does the L3P and L2P+. I have ~6000 FLAC and Hi-Rez files on my Phone (512 GB Micro SD Card installed).

To me the L2P sounds a tad muddy/boomy in comparison. The L3P has better clarity and separation. When I’m going out I always grab either the L3P or L3P Beta.

In case you’re wondering. I’ve been in sound my whole life. My Dad was a Sound Engineer at a recording studio. I was running around Recording Studios since I was 8 years old and splicing Reel to Reel Tape. I was a lead singer in a band. I also ran a few internet radio stations. On top of that I have a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology.

PS I’m not saying the L2P are bad (I still have mine), it’s just that I don’t see how anyone could say they sound better the L3P. Then again some people put 10 - 15 inch sub-woofers in a VW Beetle, so there’s that.
Lastly, they are all more than loud enough for my ears.

(L to R) L3P, L3P Beta. L2P +, and L2P

I have been reading this thread and some of the comments on here made me laugh, won’t say which ones but someone is very arrogant and filled with misinformation. That being said I love my lp3 the sound is great, I had to return my lp2 due to fit ( my strange ears) and will say I would recommend them to anyone who needs a smaller fit . I have checked many reviews before purchasing them, as I didn’t want to be that person who returns everything. Technology is grand and easy to use along with great price.

2 Likes

LP2 literally has 4.41 bass range while the LP3 suffers at 2.94.
No comparison in bass.
LP3 is good for the generic wireless earbud consumer but LP2 has a definite sound profile for those who prefer a stronger bass range with slightly louder volume capabilities. It’s definitely not for everyone but they are definitely not the same in bass and volume.

I have the Liberty Air 2 Pro’s and I love them!

Good to know.

But the LA2P are nothing like the L2P or L3P.

Thanks for clarifying. I do understand the difference in the models. I’m new to the community and was just trying to engage. I should look for a thread about the liberty air 2 pros and how people liked those in comparison to the LP2 or LP3’s. I personally didn’t care for older lines that I had that are shaped more like the LP2/3s from handeling perspective.

1 Like

Understood.

I don’t like neither LA2P nor the L2P/L3P. I like the recent Sport X10 and the Frames for different reasons. I walked for 4 hours today listening to a meeting with my Frames and sat down now with my X10.

I never bought the stick like LA2P as I have the P2 and LA2, similar and they just fall out, the claims others they don’t fall out I don’t recognise, and I have Neo who fall out and I reckon the L2P/L3P would also.

Doesn’t matter what anything sounds like if you got to keep pressing it in every 30s or you can’t talk, eat, etc which makes them land on the ground.

I have the LA2P, L2P, L2P+, and L3P. I had one L3P fall out once because I didn’t have the right side wing attached correctly. That’s it. I’m not sure why you have such extreme issues having them stay in. I’m assuming either your ears are shaped differently or your not using the correct size tips/wings.

I too have recently purchased the liberty 3 pros. I must admit to being disappointed. I already had the 2 pros and after doing a side by side comparison, the 2 pros are much louder and fuller. I put it down to fit for me as no matter what I tried I just couldn’t get them to fit well. Tbh I’m gutted after watching so many reviews saying they sounded better than the 2 pros. Though I guess it’s all subjective and everyone’s ears are different with regards to fit and seal.

Appreciate your comments.

From the moment I got the Liberty 3 Pros, I immediately could tell that they just didn’t sound as loud/full as the Liberty 2 Pros.

Eventually, I returned the Liberty 3 Pros. The Liberty 2 Pros are my regular, daily earbuds.

Yeah in the process of selling mine now, not going to return as I received a free set of life q35 headphones with the earbuds on a deal last week.

I wasn’t sure at first about the lp3 sound but when I done the comparison it was so clear to me they sounded nowhere near as good as the lp2 pro.

Just glad I came on here and seen similar reviews, reassuring thatvi wasn’t the only one thinking the same. :+1:

Very late jumping into this but Jeff, My ears ride with your on point description. I still have orig. LP2’s, which I refer to as “The legends”, had the upgraded LP2’s but sent back cuz didn’t think they sounded as good, weren’t as loud, and decided to wait for the LP3’s. I have the LP3’s and while I LOVE them and they’re my daily buds, in my opinion they’ sound is not as good or loud as the LP2 OG’s or Legends. LP3’s are my daily buds because of the ANC and they do have better call quality. Thanks for starting this discussion Jeff, you are sooooo on point!

100%. I thought I was losing my hearing but they are significantly less powerful than the Pro 2s. The touch functionality is actually way more of a pain in the butt than it’s worth. Bring back the mechanical buttons back and leave the touch ones off. They are way too sensitive and shut on and off music too easy. Also, not nearly sensitive enough, when you want to hang up a call and it takes you 3 times to do it because it doesn’t recognize you jamming your finger through or. I am actually ordering another set of the 2s. They are far superior. Refund and back to R&D. These were a step in the opposite direction.

Actually, I think the surround sound actually sounds better and louder than the engineer ones and usually the loudest one is Riley Macklin and that isn’t anywhere near the LP2 volume or experience. Hands down, this was a step backwards. Pretty, yes. As good as LP2, no way.

Because the LP2s have more power, I would probably say the LP2, because I am almost positive the drivers are the same. The biggest difference, and I am almost positive this is why the LP2 are much louder, is the LP3 is smaller in size, making it have much less room for the driver to get air and produce sounds as it could/should. Think of it as a subwoofer or a mid. They need a certain amount of space for it to derive the power to produce its best sounds. The LP3 isn’t big enough to deliver like the LP2

1 Like

My right is louder than the left