Life Q30 EQ Sound

That complicates things significantly. But I guess if you have the EQ app, you can save multiple profiles for the same headphones.

Don’t these also have different ANC modes? Some for higher frequencies, and some for lower, like the phones? That would complicate things further.

Do you think you could put these numbers into a graph to show the difference with NC on/off? As it’s quite difficult to work with all these numbers… :slight_smile:

Yeah, sliding 100Hz all the way down made the bass sound kind of meh. But then I’m still asking myself: is that really how Harman is supposed to sound like with this Piano profile? Because leaving the 100Hz slider as is, that keeps it at 0, which is the default Q30 setting, isn’t it? And that’s a pretty strong bass by default. How close to Harman is this then? Because these Piano settings sound pretty good imo (not flat at all) and the sound is also crisp as compared to the default setting which then sounds rather muffled/muddy in comparison. But I thought Harman was supposed to sound flatter and even more neutral, which is why many people don’t like it?

i have not noticed any difference in sound with the different ANC modes, only when ANC is on vs. off

you are not supposed to “work with all these numbers” - they are settings only to be used with the AutoEQ function in the free Wavelet app for android phones

see my comment #5 above

can also be used with EqualizerAPO (free) for Windows PCs

sliding 100Hz all the way down only when noise cancelling is OFF - i don’t think i have seen any other custom EQ settings where the 100Hz slider was NOT all the way down (with NC off)

leave 100Hz slider at default Piano setting when noise cancelling is ON

regardless, you do you

i don’t think you understand what the Harman target is - it is a preference curve that a majority of listeners agreed upon through science and research - more headphones are now being tuned to this preference target (for example, i barely hear a difference with EQ on/off with my AKG K371)

a good video summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdlZCBs01DA

Interesting. It seems like there would be an impact either way, but that is good I guess.

Okay, I see thanks.

I think the Piano preset brings a very crisp (bright?) sound, although the sound stage feels kind of narrow or tubby , for the lack of better wording. Also, being so crisp it seems more fatiguing to ears. When compared to Mr Cow’s settings you can feel that the sound stage seems more open (the sound seems wider, not as “trapped inside” the cans. What do you think?

I’m currently using Mr Cow’s updated EQ settings (though I moved the 100Hz band up to about -3Hz point to bring a tad more bass:

PS: Mr Cow’s EQ profile also brings quite bright sound, so I’ll test it further to see if I should lower some of the bands.

you lost me when you started talking about “soundstage” (“audiophile” nonsense) which is a product/effect of the recording process - listen to this old youtube video with any/all headphones you have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

the only thing i can tell you is that the modified piano eq approximates the Harman target (versus using the Wavelet app) which is my frame of reference; of course, the soundcore eq only has 8-bands with limited gain so it can only do so much but when i test and listen to classical music (having played the violin for too many years in my youth) it sounds pretty pretty good

if you don’t like it for whatever reasons, that is your prerogative and you should use whatever settings you like and enjoy - the fact that you still haven’t found whatever it is you are looking for tells me you don’t really have a frame of reference yet but nevertheless i wish you the best of luck

Yeah I know that video. Well, I was just reporting my findings and you seem to have taken a bit of offense by it. No need to, as I was just hoping to have further conversation about EQ and hear some more opinions. I haven’t tested the Piano preset much with classical music, but with some other genres the sound does feel a bit constricted, which changes if you switch to the EQ profile I posted above. The sound does feel to open up with the latter profile.

FYI - a lot of hi-end headphones, for better or worse, are being tuned to the Harman target (w/o EQ) because of the accuracy/tonality of the sound to our ears; fortunately, we can EQ the Q30 (and a lot of other headphones) similarly if you like the Harman target; you can EQ any headphone to sound whatever you like for that matter

it is unclear why you think you need to have different EQs for different genres of music; if you think about the physics of sound, that makes no sense - an instrument/voice playing Middle A or Middle C should sound like Middle A or Middle C regardless of the genre; if you want/enjoy more bass/treble/mids/etc. than what the artist intended, then you do you

you continue to use so-called “audiophile” terms like “constricted” and “open” that mean nothing in the science of sound but do mean something to you so i can’t really help you there and question the usefulness of “further conversation”; the only thing i can suggest is searching/googling “audio myths”

remember, no one is right but you when it comes to what you want to hear - as the saying goes: opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, most of them stink

hope you find what you are looking for (and doesn’t stink) so you can enjoy the headphones

peace

2 Likes

Opinion: EQ is a gimmick to play with. I’d just like flat and a simpler set of tools.

Fact is if someone tries to tweak from flat they basically wear out the part of the cochlea which picks up that frequency, so they become deafer in those frequencies, so they turn it up even more…

They then get run over because they made themselves deaf.

Not sure about all this stuff but with my liberty 2 pro and my q30 I love goin to custom eq and terrain them all all the way up more volume and they just sound mean but if rockin the q30 with anc on I find them popping or distorting at anything over 70 to 80 percent volume but on reg they just pound same as my L2P with that setting

Having read through this thread, you make a couple of good points.

Using the built in pre-sets I also found the acoustic one to my “taste”.

Secondly our perception is largely subjective.
I have typical age related hearing loss and tinnitus, so very subjective in my case.

I was using some headphones on a subscription basis which used a combination of in the ear and over the ear.
The key feature being they played a series of tones and listened to these sounds inside your ear and used the response to generate an equalisation profile tuned to your ear.
I will be honest - they sounded great, with a very powerful bass driver . They did not offer any EQ customisation for music genres.

My reason for sending them back was an issue of comfort - they were heavy and I was finding the in ear part increasingly uncomfortable.

Now enjoying my Q30s, but may send them back - but only in order to get the new Q35s.

How does the process work?

Those headphones had an extra sensitive microphone in the ear piece. It would listen to the returned sound from the ear which was used to make personalised eq profile.

There are apps that work like a hearing test which can be used to manually create a hearing specific eq profile.

Should I turn on “Reduce Clipping” in Wavelet?

In general, I’ve always preferred a V curve to my EQ. With sound being subjective, everyone has sound profile they prefer. There is no right or wrong answer.
PS If you have overly bright speakers or speakers heavily tuned to accentuate the low end, the V curve can be modified. I just set the EQ to what sounds good to me.

1 Like

you can if you hear any clipping/distortion or are not worried about latency - the Q30 has fairly low distortion so you really should not hear any clipping/distortion with normal listening volume

note that Oratory1990 has measured the Q30 with ANC on/off and so AutoEQ settings with his measurements should appear when Wavelet is next updated; or you can import them into Wavelet now:

1 Like

I’m sorry . But I don’t understand how to use this. Can you explain me please? Is this for soundcore app?