Life Q30, Windows 10, bluetooth is choppy

Not just distance, it can knock off a resonance if you’re lucky.

Alright, so I spent about 30minutes on my laptop with the headphones at about 2 meter distance and there was zero choppiness.

I also checked and the BT on my laptop is at least BT 4 since it has LE (which I kept on with no problems). So at this point I’m almost completely convinced that the issue is my desktop’s dongle.

One thing I’ve noticed with a few different Bluetooth/wireless headsets on Win10 is that Cortana uses the microphone almost at all times by default, which puts the wireless headset into handsfree communication mode instead of the media player mode. This results in lower bitrate and generally crappy sounding music. You can usually tell when your headset switches modes because the volume slider will appear for a second, but with Cortana listening on the mic for commands the device never switches back.

Just for the heck of it, try disabling Cortana’s microphone access (which will give you the stupid “privacy setting are preventing an application from using your microphone” message). If that works and you don’t use Cortana, you can look into disabling Cortana on startup.

1 Like