Life Q35 initial thoughts.

Yeah, thanks. I’ve been saying all along that Macs don’t support LDAC.

Btw, they do also support aptX, though, alongside SBC & AAC.

Yeah, the Big Sur update means that those options are missing now leaving us with SBC and AAC. I spent hours the other night with Bluetooth Explorer and couldn’t find a way to enable it anymore. A shame but to be honest, unless you’re listening wirelessly to Hi Res from Qobuz, personal Flac files or Tidal etc then it’s not a problem.

Interesting. So I presume you tried enabling aptX via Terminal with the below command line and it didn’t work in Big Sur?

sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod “Enable AptX codec” -bool true

I have indeed, at least on the M1 it fails with unrecognised codec argument. It could be that the Intel chipset Macs use a different BT chip and therefore have it available.

Q35 is an overprized “upgrade”. Wait for the Q40 to release this christmas. The Q40 will have aptX Support, for sure

This from my 3 year old OnePlus

What I don’t know is what speed LDAC it supports.

That’s subjective and speculation.

The value that an individual attaches to a product determines their own subjective view of price.

Market forces work over time, so those who attach the highest value buy first, when the sales drops then the price drops to those who attach the next lowest value, and so on. So whatever value you personally attach, just wait til the price drops to match.

Agree the Q30 is such a good product for its price a Q30 owner has a lower reason to buy Q35 only 6 months later and so would be likely best to wait for substantially better.

But that’s true of nearly all technology. Better comes along and so the gap between what you own now and next widens over time.

Yes you’d think logically AptX just purely from being ommited before and yes the cadence has been twice a year but neither of these logical extrapolations means any will happen.

So I suggest to ask for what you want as asking let’s the product managers know :sunglasses:

1 Like

So Android devices have had these codecs included for a while now. LDAC supports up to 990kbps when the device allows priority for audio - older devices will typically start at 330kbps, move up to 660kbps if stability allows and will stop there.

Again, this is a basic understanding I got from a bit of reading.

1 Like