Most popular programming language - python

https://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/tech-careers/top-programming-language-2020

I thought this was an entertaining look at the current state of the programming world. I have programed a lot in my time, but never touched python.

Interesting to see Matlab on there as well. I think of that as more of a really great set of math and simulation tools than a language, but it is very valuable for engineers.

1 Like

The list was ordered as I expected (somewhat). Most of my classes use Java but I’ve had classes that use C so I know that as well and I’m starting Python since I have an upcoming class that requires Python. I’ll probably start learning C++ or Javascript during the Christmas break unless someone here has any other suggestions

1 Like

Honestly not surprised cause as an engineering student I’ve had a couple classes that require MATLAB and a class next semester all about programming in it. It’s amazing how powerful it is. I have a teacher that maps the ocean using differential equations in MATLAB and it truly is mind blowing. Python is up there because of how “easy it is to read” making it relatively easy to pick up since the syntax isn’t to complicated. My school however focuses more on c++ which I’ve taken two classes on already and have a couple more to still take.

I have a friend majoring in Aerospace Engineering who I saw when he was doing his homework on Matlab. This is like our second semester so pretty easy stuff and it looked very similar to Java but different of course like Python

The first language I learned was Python. It’s brilliant, simple, straightforward and is very versatile. Also, the only reason Javascript is not #2 is because those others in between are all used for making apps and that was more popular than JS, because it was mostly just used for making a website interactive, but it, along with JSON, have become increasingly popular again.

If you are still technically a student aka you have a student email, you can get a great discount on Codecademy.com which has every language, skill path, etc. that you could imagine and tons of resources for learning them. My JS teacher failed to teach us the most important parts, so since we are online anyways I decided to get a year sub and it was cheap compared to the original price, with my student discount and Honey. You know you can write HTML in here right? strong tags Anker’s Community

Headings

Lists

1. Roman Numerals
  1. letter
  1. or numbers
© Me Lol

Python is a very simple one.
Good for beginners.
“Real programmers” will not use. :grin:

What I really like /liked and worked with was C++.

Normally the students at the university here are “taught” Java in the first semester.

Interesting are functional programming languages like Haskell.
Really different to those imperative ones.

And another one which needs to mentioned is Ocaml.

And not to forget logical ones like Prolog

1 Like

Yea I saw that you can do it in HTML but I’m not familiar with it and it’s not something I will need in my classes most likely so not high on my list to learn at the moment. I was doing Coursera Python courses and have 3 more to go out of 5. Will look at Code Academy too thanks!

1 Like

To write simple HTML-code you can use a HTML-generator,
Have you ever heard of LaTEX?
Was often used in my old times to write scientific articles and papers
Not easy to use, but much better output than the MS tools.
eg. Creating difficult mathematic formula, which are really perfect styled when printed.

But let’s say another word to programming languages.
The real state of the art is Assembler
When creating compilers you need to know this
Compiler - > Translating high level languages into Assembler code.
Finding errors you need to know how to read a hex dump.

hope you all

45 6e 6a 6f 79
74 68 65
77 65 65 6b

:rofl:

I know a bit of LaTEX because I used it for R and MS Word in my math class lol. Also I don’t know all the ASCII code from top of my head :joy:

Personally I think just learning to code in one language is good because I’ve spoken to people who think learning to code is like learning to think. Once you can learn to think and the steps it’s just a matter of figuring out the syntax

1 Like

Nobody does. knowing ASCII by heart, :grin:

But interesting you know LaTeX.
Easier to use than TeX
(We always called the Knuth book “The holy bible”)

1 Like

Of course all programming languages are similar structured.
What you learn when writing programs is thinking abstract.
You should take a look at a so called grammar of a programmings language. (BNF notation)
And such diagrams are always helpful.

2 Likes

Lol yea I know some things but not great at all that :joy:. I also have a lot to learn. Also @ktkundy I do agree with you on that learning part. Once you learn the basics, everything else is really just building on that and you really just need to know things exist for a job. You can always remember how to optimize and what not even years after learning it

1 Like

Yeah I’ve done a couple of those. I had a teacher that made us draw those types of charts for every single program. It really sucked when it was a really long program that had a lot of conditions

1 Like

Haha!
I tortured my students not the same way, just a little bit.
Not the whole syntax tree , only small parts.

Yeah it was interesting definitely hard when it was on a test because then you are rushing to draw it and space becomes an issue. But it definitely helped with learning and showed the teacher who knew what they were doing and who didn’t.

Had a professor that really wanted us to learn Latex, so I figured it out for lab reports for him. But it is challenging.

I have written a little assembly code for a class. Not a lot of space for people to do it in real life these days.

Your flow diagrams remind me a lot of state machines. Use those all the time for batch control programming. They really force you to think through and get the steps in order to work consistently and make it possible to troubleshoot later.

2 Likes

I really hated state machines when they were first discussed :joy:. Was absolutely confused on what I was doing until a few practice examples. Still not the thing I want to remember and have to work on

Assembler is important to know more about computers and how these are working.
(registers, their length, different type f commands, labels
and not forget the famous “stack overflow” :rofl:)

1 Like