My (overdue) SoundCore Mini 3 Review (additional pics added)

Hey everyone, hope you are all staying safe and well in these testing times.

This review is a bit overdue (sorry), but I finally found time to write it up…

I won my SoundCore Mini 3 in the weekly giveaway a few weeks ago at my second time of entering a weekly giveaway, so I was over the moon to have one this cracking little addition to the SoundCore family of speakers.

When I unboxed the Mini 3 my first thought was wow, nice looking speaker, I hope it sounds as good as it looks. As per normal, being a bloke, I went straight for the power button to see if there was any juice in the unit… lo and behold, there was. The startup jingle sent a shiver down my spine as it sounded pretty awesome and I could feel the bass reverberating through the table it was resting on. At that point I had to hear more, so I reached for my iPhone and opened up the Bluetooth settings and pressed the Bluetooth button on the Mini 3, a few seconds later — there it was in the list of available devices. I tapped on it and the connection was made. A few seconds later I was opening Spotify to load the track I always use first on any new speaker or earphones — Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam & the Ants. The opening lines flowed out of the Mini 3 effortlessly and clearly, I really thought I was listening on a much bigger, more powerful speaker than the pocket sized Mini 3. When the drums kicked in, a broad smile came over my face and I had a flashback to when I first heard the song all those years ago on a tinny handheld FM radio, except this time I felt like I was really hearing the song.

After turning the volume up a bit more, I realised that the speaker was pretty capable of producing clear sound at a really loud volume. I haven’t had the courage to turn the volume up to 11 yet, and that day may never come. There was a bit of distortion when the volume level is really high, but I wouldn’t be using the Mini 3 at that kind of level anyway. What I will mainly be using it for is playing workout music via an old iPad and this has proven to be a major improvement over the built-in speaker on the ageing Apple device.

So far, I have only had to charge the Mini 3 once (and that was just to top up the juice that it came out of the box with) and have used it for more than 6 hours, it’s showing no signs of running out of steam yet (I should hope not as it should go for at least 15 hours according to the packaging — that remains to be seen though).

I downloaded the SoundCore app on my iPhone and had a play around with the preset equaliser settings and to be honest just reverted back to the default, as it suited my listening taste best. The one thing that I did like about the app was the BassUp feature. It was switched on by default, but switching it off was a big mistake! Needless to say I switched it straight back on again, as I’m sure anyone else with this little beauty of a speaker will too.

Overall I have to say that the SoundCore Mini 3 is a fantastic little speaker that punches well above its weight. The sound quality is far superior to that of my original SoundCore (A3102) speaker that I have been using for a couple of years. I look forward to many hours of listening pleasure with this powerful little speaker.

Thank you SoundCore for creating such awesome products, and if you want to send me any more speakers to test, I’d be more than happy to test them for you :wink:

Cheers, and happy listening folks!

8 Likes

Nice review! Could we see some photos of the speaker around some common objects to get a good idea of how big the speaker is?

1 Like

Does the sound come out different with it off? I mean apart from Bass difference did you notice anything else?

Also, I agree with @matthew2ndson. A couple photos around common objects or even a photo that’s not a closeup would be nice. Great review and hope it stays strong! Glad you’re enjoy it!

1 Like

Just remember banana for scale

1 Like

Nice review @Craig_Paterson :clap:

1 Like

Good review.

1 Like

Nice review, this is a good looking speaker and it sounds like it sounds great.

1 Like

Your wish is my command :wink:

1 Like

@Shivam_Shah There is still a good amount of bass with the BassUp switched off, but it is a bit beefier with it switched on.

1 Like

How about a coffee cup, an iPhone and some loose change instead? :wink:

1 Like

@ndalby, @Chiquinho, @jercox thank you all

1 Like

Sounds similar to Life 2 then. I haven’t used BassUp in a while on that though but I remember it being better when turned on

1 Like

Nice review love the extra pictures you added

1 Like

Thank you @ktkundy :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your review! Glad you’re enjoying your new speaker :clap:

1 Like

Great review!! The pics in it too were amazing! Thanks for sharing :grin:. I will have to get a review of my wakey up sometime soon… that’s the first thing I won here had it a couple months now and I love it ! :smile:

1 Like

Nice extra pictures, definitely a small speaker. Maybe a bit bigger than the original mini, but that one needed a little more oomph, so probably a positive overall.

1 Like

That was a great review done @Craig_Paterson :+1:
Nice photos :ok_hand:

1 Like

Nice photos you added there. It definitely is a tiny speaker and I saw it in Antwan’s big hands last night on the stream :joy:

1 Like

Nice review!

1 Like