POLL - The Greatest Music Video of All Time

Simple question: What is the greatest music video of all time?

TIME FOR THE POLL!

• Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel
  • Virtual Insanity, Jamiroquai
  • Thiller, Michael Jackson
  • Take On Me, Aha
  • Money for Nothing, Dire Staits
  • The Hardest Button to Button, The White Stripes
  • Closer, NIN
  • Dancing in the Street, Bowie & Jagger :man_facepalming:
  • Never Gonna Give You Up, Rick Astley :man_facepalming:
  • Locomotive Breath, Jethro Tull
  • In A Gadda Da Vida, Iron Butterfly
  • You and only You, The Platters
  • I’d Do Anyhting for Love, Meatloaf

0 voters

From a different thread, I agree with @Rhyse_Simpson and think the obvious winner is Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel:

Some honorable mentions:

The Hardest Button to Button By the White Stripes:

Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai:

Money for Nothing by Dire Straits:

Take on Me by Aha

Thriller by Michael Jackson:

Closer by Nine inch Nails, which I’m not posting here because it (may) violate community guidelines.

So which do you think are the greatest music videos of all time? I plan to update this post in about a week or so with nominations from the community and create a poll to settle this question once and for all! So nominate your favorites in the comments below and we will have a community vote.

5 Likes

Easily the greatest music video ever.

:man_facepalming:

Someone clearly doesn’t understand what the true classics are :joy:

1 Like

Those are all great videos, I grew up watching those videos on MTV back when they actually had long blocks of music videos.

I wouldn’t say they are the best of all time. I’d have to think about and start watching videos ago to figure out my top greatest videos are.

2 Likes

What no Rick rollin’ :grin:

Good choices there @gANKstER , remember watching them often on MTV and VH1, ah teenage memories :laughing:

3 Likes

Dire straits, fine.
This one is great too.

Only life performance counts!!!

This one too, not the best quality (1968)

And last not least that one.

Good night, a lot of walking today :grin:

1 Like

You know where I stand on that poll :point_right::sunglasses::point_right:

1 Like

Came here for ol’ Ricky

1 Like

It’s legit a good song though, not gonna lie.

Always enjoyed Meatloaf (& Michael Jackson’s) mini film variations of songs, which is a kinda bold move when you look at the length of some of Meatloaf’s songs and how they are often chopped down to 3-5 minute variations on radio :cold_sweat:

1 Like

A few years ago I realized that, though I had heard the song hundreds of times, I still didn’t know what, precisely, meatloaf would NOT do for love. According to ultimate classic rock,

“Some of the things the song says he won’t do: forget the way you feel right now; forgive himself if you don’t go all the way tonight; do it better than he does it with you, so long; and stop dreaming of you every night of his life.”

1 Like

Yeah it always had me confused aswell, used to think he was saying he would not sell his soul to be the things he wanted to be,…then read a similar article where he is essentially saying he ‘won’t do’ the things he has referred to in previous verse lines such as lying to etc…

I think “forgive himself if we don’t go all the way tonight” is my favorite :laughing:

Thread of the week! Everyone get your nominations in and we will vote on Friday!

1 Like

Congrats @gANKstER for the thread of the week !!