Q30 - switching between normal and noise canceling modes issues

Ciao, si sono italiano. Ho mandato una mail a "service@soundcore.com" descrivendo il problema, poi loro mi hanno risposto con una mail automatica dicendomi tutte le cose da mandare (Indirizzo, Numero seriale delle cuffie, fattura come prova di acquisto, ecc…). Gli ho mandato tutto e in pochi giorni mi sono arrivate a casa le nuove cuffie, spero che risolverai il tuo problema!

1 Like

Grazie mille, per la disponibilitá e la gentilezza, provvederó a seguire le sue istruzioni. Grazie ancora e speriamo bene :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I decided to send a email to soundcore support about the issue we are having here. First they sent me a troubleshooting email and sadly those troubleshooting tips didn’t work for me. I sent them a email back that I want to return them and get a replacement. I’m just worried about the new unit having the same issue or even worse ANC quality. Guess I’ll have to wait to see what happens. Also asked them about an update for the ANC sadly they didn’t say anything about an update.

1 Like

Just wanna report that the replacement unit works fine and made a great Christmas gift. Comparing my first production batch Q30 and the gifted one, the curvature of the headband is now less narrow, so that breaking the plastic parts left and right from the headband cushion shouldn’t be a issue any more. Mine started developing fine tears after a couple of days and later broke.

1 Like

Cowonaut, thanks for the heads up. Could you confirm, that switching between ANC modes in the replacement unit works as expected? It seems that I’ll have to replace mine as well… :frowning:

2 Likes

I just got my new unit this week on Monday . The issue with ANC is no more and it sound so much better now. I’ve been using it for a week and it’s been such a different experience. You should send soundcore support an email about your issue.

1 Like

Sad to read this, I was still hoping it was just a firmware problem. So I sent an email to SC Support a Minute ago.

Well but the current situation is terrible. My wife’s Q20 is much better performing than my Q30.

And as ANC is the key factor for buying the Q30…

So thanks for your news on the replaced headphones.

Marcus

1 Like

I got replacement Q30 after opening a support ticket. The newer ones are packaged and look noticeably different, the letters are more bold brighter, the NFC peel off label is different it now points to a specific spot rather than the whole side.

The ANC though isn’t any better to my ears, they work ok otherwise.

They are worthwhile for me to keep the replacement rather than give up as the transparent mode is still useful.

1 Like

Professor, I think you are having the same problem I have… Basically saying the ANC on the Life Q30 are basically non existent.
I put up a post:
Life Q20 and problems with my Life Q30
And in that post I said:
ANC, what is going on with the Q30 Noise Cancelling??? Maybe I have a bad pair…… But out of all the Budget ANC headphones I have tried (Falwedi S6, Boltune BH010 and the Cowin E7) all provided way better Noise Canceling. I have tried the different setting (transport / indoor / outdoor) and all basically block out the “ambient sound” the same.
I am sitting in my living room on my recliner watching some kind of talk show (CNBC or News) at normal TV listening level…… The Q30 block out so little of the TV, that my Q20’s “almost” block out the same amount without them even being powered on !

1 Like

Yeah pretty much non existent ANC, it seems to be the same as passive but with added hiss. It’s like the hiss is blocking out sound rather than canceling sound.

But still good otherwise. I’d just encourage to not emphasise the ANC part and to highlight the other positives, like they are comfortable, the USBC, battery life, pairing to two things at once works reasonably good, the transparent mode.

The replacement ANC may.be better.

I have the Bose QC35 and the Sony 3rd gen so I think my ears are spoilt with $300 and I may just be picky so not trying to be too negative for $60.

FYI I got these in the original launch and the label looks like this:

And then I got a replacement this last week and looks like this

The gold ink is different on the phones and the NFC label looks different with a specific spot for the NFC.

So there’s for sure different aged, differently packaged, versions out there.

My replacement may be better but it’s either mildly better or same and my imagination.

2 Likes

I thought there was a switching modes issue unless they got that fixed

Well, today my new Q30 arrived.

The problem I had with the last one is definitely solved.

So for me, they work pretty nice now. Yes, there are surely better headphones. But not for this price.

I am very happy with the Q30 now.

Let me mention, that the customer service was great.

1 Like

My new ones arrived as well and not only the ANC modes switching is fixed, but also ANC itself works really, really better! I thought, that flat sound when ANC is turned on is normal behavior, but my replaced headphones sounds now very similar with ANC turned on and on normal mode.

1 Like

Here is what I experience on my Q30’s:

ANC (Indoor) -> Transparency (by covering my right ear cup): headphones will switch to Transparency mode but the app will still show ANC (Indoor) if I’m not inside the app while performing that step!

Transparency -> ANC (when I go back from Transparency to ANC by covering my right ear cup again), headphones will switch to ANC, but this time the app will show ANC (Outdoor!) instead of Indoor. When I switch from Outdoor to Indoor inside the app, there is no audible change whatsoever between the two ANC modes, but when I switch back from Indoor to Outdoor, I can hear low frequency noise for a brief fraction of a second or so (as if it temporarily switches to Transparency during the process?) and then it goes back into ANC mode again. When I perform this with music playing, the music will go a bit louder for a fraction of a second while switching between Indoor/Outdoor (or even Transport).

However, the above “bugs” don’t always show up. For example, after I performed the above steps a few times it now works correctly so that when I cover my right ear cup it will switch from ANC (Indoor) to Transparency both in headphones and the app, but when I switch back to ANC it will switch to Outdoor by default, rather than Indoor which was my previous setting. And still when I switch from Outdoor to Indoor there will be no change in sounds whatsoever during the switch, but when I then switch from Indoor to Outdoor again, the low frequency noise will appear for a brief fraction of a second while the headphones switch between Indoor and Outdoor.

ANC (Indoor) -> Normal and then Normal -> ANC (Indoor) works fine, but when I switch between Indoor to Outdoor the same happens as described above.

Not to mention one’s Custom EQ profiles that the app keeps regenerating with its OWN adjustments, which is another annoying aspect of the app. But oh well, that’s another story.

At any rate, looks like a bit of a rushed product if you ask me, and there are still quite a few bugs to be ironed out.

1 Like

Well, it does sound like progress. I am glad they are moving in the direction of having anc and transparency, but having multiple ANC modes just sounds confusing to me in general. Not so surprising it is buggy.

1 Like

Oh, and in iOS it seems that the app and its widget seem in disagreement when you select Indoor vs Outdoor. I.e. when I select Indoor in widget, it will be selected as Outdoor in the app! And vice versa, if I select Indoor in the app it will appear as Outdoor in the widget.

Everyone else getting this as well? The app seems to be riddled with bugs.

1 Like

OK, so my Q30 arrived today. It’s a new, midnight blue one, with updated fw (1.90) and the latest soundcore app (iOS verson, 2.6.0).
There’s still some noticeable bugs and weird behaviors going on.

Reloading the app or the iOS widget, it can’t differentiate between indoor and outdoor ANC profiles, it’s going to show outdoor, even though it’s not what’s actually selected. You have to toggle between modes several times to get it right again.

Bass is reduced with ANC. Sometimes. Not significantly, and not all the time. It probably depends on what the microphones pick up and what sounds are being cancelled out. Yeah, ANC is not perfect on these headphones, I would only use it when I’m outside, indoors not so much. Outside where there are actually loud noises that it can cancel, it can improve music quality but inside it seems like it’s trying too hard.

Yeah, pretty much same here about toggling between Indoor and Outdoor and the app defaulting to Outdoor even though you didn’t have it selected beforehand. As for bass, it gets slightly reduced with ANC as opposed to Normal for me as well - I guess that’s just the nature of ANC headphones.

See my thread about iOS bugs here: iOS Soundcore app - post all bugs on Q30

So it seems you’re getting the same bugs as well?

It’d be helpful if you submitted your feedback to Anker: service@soundcore.com

The more of us submit it, the better the chances are they do something about it, I guess.

1 Like

That’s my experience. I have other brands and the ANC on Q30 is meh. Doesn’t mean don’t buy them, many other advantages, but the ANC just has to be downplayed so it’s not a source of negative comments.

ANC = added noise created, it’s an added hiss sound.

On replacement already, gave up thinking bug / unit , it’s a “feature” of the product. I’m sure it’s a learning experience and the successor will be the better for the feedback.

I’ve submitted like 5 feedbacks today, so I got it covered. Ankers seems to care about user feedbacks so we can hope. But if it stays the same, these headphones are still good regardless of the cheap price.

Btw I ordered 2 sets of headphones, there’s a pink set for my girlfriend, once I try it, I’ll report on unit variation, though I don’t think there would be much.

1 Like