Soundcore 2 not linking via TWS, can't install new firmware

Hi, I’ve been struggling with this for a couple of days now, so hopefully someone here can help me out.

Short version: I can’t link my two Soundcore 2 speakers by TWS, and I can’t update the firmware of one of them.

Long version: I bought a new Soundcore 2 speaker from Amazon a couple days ago with the intent of linking it via TWS to one I had bought in June 2020. When it arrived I followed the procedure described in the manual to link them via TWS, however it did not work. I then checked their firmware by powering on and pressing (vol+ and Bluetooth), and found my old speaker to have version 053, but when I did the same procedure for the new one, it said “3,3pause9,9”. When I double checked, it then said “3,3pause9,8”. Thereafter it stayed as “3,3pause9,8” even for multiple checks. I can’t find any reference to this sequence of numbers online. I then tried to update the firmware of both speakers, as I figured that the firmware mismatch might be causing my TWS problem. The only firmware I could find online was 053. I downloaded this firmware, as well as the firmware update app from the Anker website. After some digging online, I was able to connect my old speaker (053) via USB cable to my PC, using the (press and hold vol- and play) method. I then successfully used the app to install the downloaded firmware (053) on my old speaker (which was already using 053, but I wanted to confirm the process worked). Everything on this speaker seems fine. However, my new speaker (3398) cannot connect to either of my PCs, using a variety of USB cables or bluetooth. I’ve tried various combinations of button presses to enable connectivity, but nothing works. I cannot pair my speakers, and I cannot access my new speaker via my PC, so I can’t change any of its settings.

If anyone could please advise me as to how to proceed, I’d be very much obliged. It’s terribly frustrating that a brand new item bought from Amazon is not functioning correctly. My only purpose in buying the second speaker was to pair it with my old one and have stereo sound. If I can’t link it, it’s useless.

Many thanks in advance,

David

ps - both speakers work fine individually when I pair them with my iphone. I can play music from either. They just wont pair with each other, which is a shame, as that’s what I need them to do.

Take a look at the “type” (number) of the speakers.
(Could be found at the bottom of the speaker or the box.)
There might be a difference.
This could be the reason the old one doesn’t connect to the new one
(Other software version installed).
It’s only an assumption which could only be verified by the support.

Thanks for your reply, and you raise a good point - I forgot to mention that they’re both the same model: A3105.

As far as I can tell there’s only ever been 1 version of the Soundcore 2.

image image

It is not recommended to update the firmware for this product.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your responses.

I got the firmware from here: https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=62509&v_langue=en

I realise that this isn’t an official source (clearly) but I also don’t see why Anker don’t make this file available on their own site. They have the update tool. Why not supply the necessary firmware, too? If users are not recommended to update the firmware, why have the tool available?

As I said in my initial post, the file from the French site actually seems fine - the speaker that I managed to “update” as a test (from 503 to the same 503) is functioning correctly. However, the new one (the one that says “3398”) is unable to be detected by the PC, does not respond to being plugged into the PC via USB (other than to charge the battery) and is not connecting via TWS. It is, however, connecting to my phone, and can play music via bluetooth.

All of which brings me back to my initial question. What can I do about the new speaker that does not connect properly, either to my PC or my other speaker?

If its brand new so its under warranty.
Contact the support dont forget to add all numbers (serial etc.)

edit Thank you Chiquinho - you replied as I was typing my follow up. I may well go to support at this point.

Aha! Thank you The_Professor - your post has given me (perhaps unintended) good information. I searched that fccid.io site you quote in your reply, and in doing so I also checked the FCCID on my two speakers. They are different! One is: 2AOKB-A3105. The other is2AB7K-A3106 . The latter is the one that is working fine. The former…doesnt exist?

So. The plot thickens. It may be relevant, but I bought both these speakers from Amazon Japan (that’s where I live). Maybe it’s a Japan only model? shrug Regardless, does anybody have any suggestions as to how to proceed? Much obliged, as ever.

edit dang it. I just realised that since I bought my new one in the sale, I’ll only be refunded the sale price (obviously.) But to buy a new one now will cost a lot more. That’s really vexing…

The tool used to exist before the app and exists only now for the original Boost speaker.

I agree it should really be removed from their site as on a couple of occasions a user didn’t RTFM and used the tool instead of the app and so bricked their devices.

The recommendation I linked to before was the point the update existed to fixed latency issues so if you don’t have latency issues don’t update.

But that’s tangential point to your TWS not working. Don’t know why they aren’t, I only can search and remember prior advice here.

Ahh they are different products. That’s the mystery solved.

The next mystery is if you search for A3106 you are pointed to the Select speaker, not something called Soundcore 2.

https://fccid.io/2AB7K-A3106/User-Manual/user-manual-3314430

Yes, we’ve made the point here and in other places the use of same product name for different physical products will break TWS unwittingly for the consumer. If you look there’s multiple Flare Mini and if you dig there’s different Motion+ , Mini, etc. Which of those works or breaks TWS we never get told.

Advice - return the newer model and work with service@soundcore.com to seek out an identical model supply.

And for the record for those who may find this thread, because Soundcore has a frequent habit of quietly changing products, if you want TWS to work buy two speakers at the same time to try to get identical products. But if that’s not possible at least buy from those sites which offer a free return so if you find out its not working you have a no cost way to back out and try again. Most countries which Anker sell directly in (UK, USA, DE, CA) there’s usually a free return method at least initially for a few days. Prices do fluctuate so you may have to wait for the next discount.

1 Like

The problem is, if you own an “old” version of a speaker and buy another new one
you will probable get in troubles when paring via TWS.
Its not possible to get such an old version, because its not available any more.

I know about such changes (eg. icon mini, Flare mini etc.), so I was supposing such difference.

1 Like

The ideal way forward for Anker is to make a different product code and different product name when they change a product. So the consumer can never unwittingly buy a different product as happened in this example.

The use of “upgraded” or not even documented changed products causes this very issue.

The aforementioned FCC site is littered with revisions of products as well as new products with previous products names. For those with support TWS it is scarily risky approach. I have a Motion+ but I see there’s a revision, so I am not hopeful if I got another Motion+ that TWS would work.

For @davidjboyle this is not your fault, take this to email with support in your country, they can make you whole via linking to same product and they can credit you the price difference. Support can make you whole.

They have good support, good engineers, the issue is marketing who repurpose product names and sometimes codes for different products.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, folks. I’ll get in touch with support here in Japan and see what comes of it. I’m very much obliged to you both for your help. I hope this thread may prove useful to future potential buyers.

3 Likes

Just an update here. I got in touch with Anker support, and they sent me a new speaker with no fuss. And, fwiw, it pairs perfectly with the one I got last month, and all is good. So, full marks to Anker’s customer support, and many thanks to them. Case closed.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know, a mystery, then a solution.

Yes this is why it’s good to buy Anker / Soundcore as while mistakes happen, if you give goodwill you usually get it back.

same issue happened to me with two different soundcore 2 products
what i want to mention is that they sound quite differently, old one (3106) has much deeper sound with greater bass, and this is disapointing :frowning: