Soundcore Boost (upgraded edition) vs. Windows 10

Well, today I just wanted to try out my new speaker with my computer. I was able to pair them and everything worked fine except one thing. If I wanted to change the volume from the computer I was simply unable to do it. Changing the volume from 100% to 1 on my PC did nothing. If I reached the 0, the speaker was muted.
On the other hand, when I tried changing the volume on the speaker itself, everything worked like a charm. The volume was changing and I saw the volume sliders moving on my Windows screen. So absolute volume works in only one direction.
I’m afraid this is a bug of the device since my Motion+ (and of course my Life Q30 as well) works perfectly on the same computer.
Has anyone else experienced this? Where could this problem be reported?

@Adamsky Sorry for the trouble. some software on PC may not support controlling the volume of the speaker due to compatibility issues, you could try the speaker with an iPhone to test if possible. And you could try disabling the Absolute Volume feature on your PC to test again.

Here’s also a link about the volume issue provided by our product manager, hope it helps:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-1803-april-2018-update-broke/5be7a2a0-2caa-47f0-8054-fba5d7b4f282

2 Likes

@winfred. It’s almost 100% that this is a software (I mean firmware) issue. The absolute volume perfectly works with my Android phone and also under Windows, but only if you change the volume on the speaker.
By the way, I ran into a forum with a guy who bought a speaker for his mother (amazon.de) from the same seller and has the same problem. Software issue? Maybe. Hardware issue? I think not.

@Adamsky Sorry to know the issue remains. Please contact service@soundcore.com they can double confirm it with the product manager.

@winfred Is there any difference between support@anker.com and service@soundcore.com? I ask because I already wrote to support@anker.com. We have a medium long message exchange about this (ticket nr.: 39683967). Since our last message exchange here, it has been confirmed that this is a type error, as a Youtuber has since confirmed the presence of the error. https://youtu.be/pDu3G6Bubrk Search for Elmar Flat’s comment and check Alan Ross’ answer: “yes mine does this too. no effect using windows volume control but volume slider moves if you control volume on the speaker.”

The solution is quite simple in Windows 10, you have to change the absolute volume that is not compatible with this Soundcore Boost and fixed issue.
In the CMD screen execute the command:
reg add HKLM \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Bluetooth \ Audio \ AVRCP \ CT / v DisableAbsoluteVolume / t REG_DWORD / d 1 / f
To disable run the command:
reg add HKLM \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Bluetooth \ Audio \ AVRCP \ CT / v DisableAbsoluteVolume / t REG_DWORD / d 0 / f
You can also edit the windows registry, but with the previous lines it works very well.
Enjoy this great Speaker, I really like the truth.

1 Like

Is there still that “registry” and can be altered?

I was reading they give up and there is no more access for a “normal” user?
May be it was another version of this “Windoofs”.
I am out of this MS-stuff since many years now and I am happy!

I am sorry to say this, but this is not the solution. In fact, turning off absolute volume makes the situation even worse. Because if you have absolute volume on, you have volume sync from at least one direction (from the speaker). If you adjust the volume on the speaker, it changes under Windows too. However, if you turn it off, you have to adjust it separately. Of course, if the goal is to make the volume setting work under Windows (and you don’t mind you lose the vol. sync), then yes, it can be a “workaround”, but it’s a forced solution at best.
I have four Anker / Soundcore devices and only this one fails to work properly with Windows. So there is either some hardware or some software problem here.
Either way, Soundcore have let this issue go. Support did acknowledge the problem (about half a year ago), but they did nothing. Just like they can’t/won’t (?) deal with the weird bass bug that affects this and the Boost.
So it’s a good speaker, but far from perfect.

I have the same problem. Just bought the Soundcore Boost. Volume Control only works on the device, not from Win10. This bug seems to be older… It makes me angry that the Soundcore Boost ist obviously not working and has a firmware malfunction that is not adressed by the producer.
The Device is just not compatible for all Win10 users.
Do not buy it!