Soundcore Frames Review

Short version
These are exactly how they look and the claims are fair. If you find the price for your matching interest then I strongly recommend to buy now to benefit from the summer outdoors.

Long version

I do a lot of biking and walking where I can’t or won’t use in-ear / over-ear.

I also find TWS buds fall out too easily and would be lost / broken and I want to maintain sound awareness anyway of my surroundings. I have Life P3, Liberty Air 2, Neo. Due to their falling out easily I nearly always use the over-ear Q30 at home and the discontinued wired Slim around-neck buds when outside moving.

So when I became aware of the Frames coming I knew I was very interested, and so prioritised getting a set. I chose the Landmark and the Cafe front set, for strong sunshine and twilight situations respectively. I chose those specifically as there is no gap at the nose-tearduck area, as any gap there makes for wind and flies get forced into the gap.

The premise here for the potential buyer is this is not the only thing you’ll own. As you read review below you’ll see these complement other items you’d use in other contexts.

There’s plenty of unboxing out there but this is the box and contents.

What you get:

• the left and right side, these are effectively very long TWS buds.
  • your choice of front
  • case, cloth
  • charging cable which is magnetic to the buds and USB-A to charger.

The Soundcore app gives plenty of controls.

• swipe front to back, back to front, left and right side
  • double-tap
  • you’re phone’s voice activation (Google, Siri)
  • the above two can be set to do any of volume control up/down, play/pause, next/previous
  • press-hold to manually turn buds off.

Setup

Intuitive. I didn’t read the manual, I assembled the sides to the front, put on face, they made a bleep sound, and I paired in the phone. Simplicity.

Sound quality

The sound is good quality, reasonable, say similar to a stereo speaker placed immediately behind the head. The sound feels like it is inside your head, slightly to the rear. I am not listening to music, just to voice, tried some music and it was good. I have the Soundcore Motion+ to compare, the Motion+ is able to do a richer broader sound, but these for their size, and fact not inside your ears, is very good.

Sound EQ

I tried the presets, in truth there’s barely any change between them. Possibly the Soundcore Signature had a bit more bass.

The spacial sound, I could not detect any difference. None.

Sound volume

Indoors in quiet environment, it is plenty loud enough, you’d not complain.

Outdoors in quiet environment, by a quieter road, sufficient.

Outdoors in a loud environment, I basically could not hear them any more.

That for me is not a complaint but a desired feature - the point being I can hear everything going on around me in full real stereo. This is exactly what I expected and am pleased.

The sound being heard by others is no way masked, any notion it is “pointed” to your ears is not the case, if you make it loud for yourself, it is loud for others, and then the ambient noise determines how much they hear. So if you were, say, on a train / bus, with some background noises, for you to hear what you wanted, most everyone else would hear it too. So don’t think you have a personal secret bubble.

Placing some kind of hat and/or neck clothing which reflects sounds back towards the ears helps a lot better. So a coat with hood, or a cap which dangles behind / over ears helps make the sound louder for oneself and presumably less loud for others side/behind you.

On a bus where the bus engine was drowning out the sound, I figured out as simple as one hand over one side did effectively make it loud enough so you have a kind of temporary volume boost.

If you do cover the ears it’s probably wise to disable the double tap control as the item over the sides tends to trigger it.

As these do not obstruct the ears, these would complement in-ear TWS buds where you’d keep wearing the Frames as sunglasses, disconnect Frames, connect some TWS buds in-ear and use them, and swap back, say through a bike / train / walk commute cycle.

There is a “privacy” EQ mode, it simply made it very quiet to point of unusable. Gimmick. Didn’t like it. Just turn volume down if you are entering a place you want to cause less sound to others.

I tweaked the settings to try to increase volume. On Android disabling Absolute Volume may have helped a little. A custom EQ with everything dialled to 11 did increase volume but just caused distortion.

Call quality

I do not intend to use these primarily for voice calls but want to make / receive calls. I took and made a test call and they sounded fine and they said I was legible. Acceptable. I may do further call tests later.

Comfort

I find them very comfortable, easily an all-day wearing comfort.

However, if you do wear something over your head, then the sides begin to dig into ears and that makes it uncomfortable. The sides are rigid and not tweakable to size / shape of head so if you press them in, they hurt.

There’s no sense of these falling off, the pinch is just-right, weight is fine.

Wear Detection

This works extremely well. It is on by default, and triggers play/pause. If off head for more than say 30 seconds, the Frames turn off, if you place back on head, they turn on.

I liked this as if I were crossing a busy road junction walking, I’d take the Frames off for maximum vision+sound, the media would auto pause then auto play.

Battery Life

I was seeing around 25% battery loss per 1.5hr so the claim of 5hr total is about right.

I did invest in a spare 2nd charging cable and if I’m doing anything more than a dog walk / quick shop then I’m always with an Anker Powercore so I have no angst about battery life, I carry the usual cables with me. So a 2nd cable helps. I doubt 5hr will be an issue for me. If you’re at all worried either do as I do (cable + Powercore) or carry a small set of TWS buds or simply plan for 5hours-ish of use and ration appropriately.

Charging

Charging is via a proprietary magnetic connected cable to both sides to USB-A power. The connections are firm. The cable shows green for charging, no light for charged. That’s possibly non-intuitive for most, had to read the manual. I’d prefer say red for charging, green for charged, off eventually if you ignored the green.

Landmark lens

The size and tint of the lens were acceptable. What was a major problem is the inside glass is reflective so I am seeing to the sides my own ears. A recommendation to Soundcore is make this a matt inside so no reflection.

Cafe Lens

They seem very small. Smaller than Landmark. Why?

I’d like Landmark and Cafe to be the same size, Cafe larger to be same size as Landmark.

Photos in the field (literally)

Summary

Pros:

• Good for a broad range of indoors and outdoors activites where you want to hear your environment.
  • Good for noisy environments where you prefer to hear the noise. As I do.
  • Good for quieter environments where you not bothered if people can hear what you are listening to.
  • Simplicity. Just works. Put them on head they turn on, take them off briefly they pause, keep them off they turn off. Perfect.
  • All day comfort, you can turn them off if required to conserve battery.
  • Good for cycling, country / low-density urban.

Cons:

• lens (my Landmark choice) shiny!
  • Not for noisy environments where you want to listen to something. These do not block external sound at all (a pro, if you want that sort of thing, as I do). Note: you can temporarily boost the volume via placing a hand over the ear.
  • Not for crowded quieter environments shared with others. They pretty much hear everything you hear.
  • Not really for where sound quality or volume is your key criteria, so you’d complement these with something else like some TWS buds you’d put in when sound quality or volume or privacy matters most.

Areas for improvement in a successor:

• improve the battery life. For example I have the wired Slim bud with battery and control in a volume a fraction of the size one side of the Frames and have 10 hours, so surely something as big as the Frames can significantly increase battery life.
  • I’m not so sure the swappable fronts is that critical, given these Frames can’t really benefit from LDAC nor ANC or Ambient (their nature) the sides probably cost $30-$50 so a full set shouldn’t really need to be more than say $80 so I’d suggest folks would simply buy two full sets for similar to less cost than a full set and another front.
  • In that future suggested Frames product you can then place electronics in the front, such as microphones nearer the mouth at the inside lower side of the front. They could also have electronic control of darkness so the tint is controllable.
  • If you do pick up my ideas I suggest they are called Frames Professor Edition ™.

I’d like to thank @sean.l for help to the side via PM in obtaining my Frames.

8 Likes

Appreciate the review…

Nice pro and cons…

I agree on the duel product use and it can complement other sound devices.

Any fears of them falling as you bike?

1 Like

Absolutely perfect!

2 Likes

Very stable. I don’t feel they any more likely to fall than other glasses.

But, all things fall eventually, then I’ll see how well they withstand that. The hinge mechanism is the obvious concern. But as most of the weight is on the sides they are most likely to hit ground first then the hinge.

2 Likes

You have a lot of green in those pics. :rofl: I guess a potential comment coming up on another thread. :slight_smile:

Great to hear. Hope they give years of enjoyment.

I guess the next goal is to try to get on a beta test for version 2 if they have it. :wink:

A lot of folks seemed to have gotten the Promenade frames, I am guessing to use with their eye glasses as those are the first ones to sell out but will say they do have a decent set of frames to pick from.

I like this even if it was not controllable and was just like the normal light activated tint lenses.

Indeed but I’ve noticed the last thread and last photo tend to win so Sunday is photo day. I’m heading into very green areas now with the Frames.

There certainly can be a brightness detector in a future frames but having app programmable control is opened up if you allow electronics in the front.

1 Like

Nice review and photos. Pros and cons are useful. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Nice thorough review. Thanks for sharing it! :+1:

2 Likes

Awsome review. Thank you for your efforts!

2 Likes

Well met review Sir. Thanks for taking the time to put together and share.

Some good insights as well as a succinct pros and cons list.

Pity they aren’t quite sufficient in crowded / busy areas, mind you may be difficult given the speakers don’t focus the sound into the ear so much as earbuds would…

:star::star::star::star: On the review :wink:

2 Likes

A question here…

How is the case? I know it is triangle shaped but does it fit the glasses well? Do you keep them attached, detached or are you going to find a different case for them.

Or a different setup for them such as a fanny pack.

1 Like

The case in my view is illogical bad design.

It’s not big enough to hold the glasses, there’s magnetic lid but the glasses inside too big for the lid to close.

So I won’t be using it.

Not with the case right now to show photo.

I’m going to use a soft pouch I got with some other glasses.

I keep them attached and intend to swap the lens infrequently. Attaching the sides is fairly easy but removing them takes a significant force. That informs me that force will wear out the mechanism so I need to swap the fewest times to get max life.

I’ve stated already I think the swappable fronts is a gimmick and adds a mechanism which is a failure area. Given the the electronics must be towards the lower cost end there’s no ANC, Ambient , LDAC, to drive up costs they should just make non-removable successor with electronics in the front. E.g. reactolight type with light sensors making instantly changing tint, microphone in the frame inside lower edge for proximity to mouth. They could possibly put a wireless charging loop in the frame but that may make them chunky heavier which makes them easier to fall and break, would need prototypes and diverse beta testers under NDA.

How do they look on me?

1 Like

The ordered separately spare charging cable is noticeably sturdier than the one bundled in the Frames pack.

The bundled one looks exactly the sort of thin wire you’d expect to split where it enters the USB or magnetic ends.

Add-on:

The Add-on upper, the bundled lower.

I’m fairly confident the bundled cable will fail, so I’ll try to use the bundled one most and the add-on is a spare backup so if replacement required it’s more likely in warranty period.

I’ve taken photo of packaging and serial number for future searches if I do need to make warranty claim.

1 Like

That is a thorough review. I like it.

As a prescription glasses wearer, there is an extra barrier to entry for me.

And the fact that everyone around you can hear what you hear is a big negative for most of my use cases. I’m glad it works for yours - but in the end I think that very much limits the potential market for these. Most of the time, I am wearing headphones to keep my sound to myself. The exceptions are limited enough that it is not worth having a second device.

For TWS that won’t fall out - the Spirit X2s have ear loops that I have found to be very secure, and sound pretty good. They need a full passthrough / transparency mode to be used for your context though.

3 Likes

Same for me.
I usually wear those in trolleybuses, subways, trains and planes.
Not a place to disturb other with your noise…
"noise pollution"

2 Likes

Knowing what you want is most of the struggle. Sounds like you know these not a fit you.

If you want a successor to loop over ear with ANC put your case in an email so it floats higher in their minds.

1 Like

My Frames died.

The left side fully dead. The right side I could only turn it off. It was on without the connection sound and if I connected would immediately disconnect. I presume as these don’t have mono mode the right couldn’t connect to the left and so wouldn’t work itself.

Waiting on warranty replacement.

2 Likes

Well… It’s upseting. Hope replacement frames will be OK

1 Like

Hope better fortune than your overears…

1 Like

Replacements arrived today. It’s a full set minus the front which was empty box.
So that means I’ve got another cable and case.

Replacements works charging now.

It does beggar the question of why buy a spare cable as a warranty replacement gets you another cable anyway.

Timeline:

• working fine Monday.
  • Tuesday dead, reset didn’t work. Photos and email to support.
  • Wednesday they say to try to reset, which I’d already tried, told them that.
  • Thursday they say to post back just failed sides, I asked them to not wait and send out replacement asap on promise of posting back. I then posted back later that day.
  • Friday they said replacement shipped, but no tracking.
  • Saturday delivered.

The case is probably the weakest part, it’s magnetic closed and is very tight, reluctant to want to close and stay closed.

While support, relative to other vendors is excellent, I had already thought of and tried everything and wrote it up thoroughly, so they could have read that and saved 2 days telling me and waiting for a reply.

I’m off backpacking hiking camping Monday with these to listen while walking, and some in ear ANC buds for pub / night.

3 Likes