Soundcore Stories #GoldenSoundEdition | Simon Gogerly

This week, I had the opportunity to chat with Simon Gogerly, a GRAMMY Award winning audio engineer from the UK. Simon had the opportunity to work with some of the biggest artists to date such as U2, Paloma Faith, No Doubt, and Massive Attack.

Here’s some interesting background about Simon:

Back in 2006, he won the coveted Album of the Year Grammy award for his work on the U2 album “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb”. Simon started his career in bands and went on into the studio world. He trained with John Hudson, a legendary mix engineer of the 70’s and 80’s at London’s prestigious Mayfair Studios. During the four years at Mayfair, he also worked with a huge number of artists as an assistant and went on to mix The Farm’s hit “All Together Now.”

Other notable highlights of Simon’s career include:

#Fact 1: He worked on the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony and many other Danny Boyle’s projects.

#Fact 2: He is now a university lecturer and a freelancer with his own studio.

#Fact 3: Notable artists he has worked with: The Farm, U2, No Doubt, Gwen Stefani, P. Diddy, New Order, Underworld, and more.

In the Episode :headphones:

I spoke to Simon about what his career had been like from the 80’s till now in terms of music and technological changes. We also discussed how he had transitioned into education and passed on his knowledge, the differences between working on film music versus music artists, and what people want to learn today compared to when he first started his career.

Listen to the episode:

Apple

Spotify

If you don’t use a podcast app, listen HERE.

Let me know what’s your favorite part of this episode in the comments below!

7 Likes

I’ll try to give it a listen later today. Thanks for sharing! :+1:

1 Like

Will try to check it out soon… I think he is a new grammy winner than some of the repeats from the last one. Will be nice to check him out…

2 Likes

Thanks for a new podcast @sean.L
Will check it a bit later.

1 Like

This was a really fun podcast, and props for shout out to kraftwerk…

Amazing story on how he got started too.

Thanks @sean.L

Nice podcast…

1 Like

Finaly found some time to listen it. Nice one. Thanks.

2 Likes

I finally had time to listen to it. It was good. Thanks for sharing @sean.L. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

1 Like

I enjoyed listening to this podcast. When Simon mentioned getting his 808 Drum Machine, it instantly made me want to listen to my favourite 808 State album – ex:el

He also mentione the band “Everything Everything” who are now in my playlist… so big thanks to Simon for the musical nudges and to @sean.L for sharing the podcast.

Looking forward to more of these!

1 Like