Speaker Burn In | A Beginners Guide

I’m sure many of you have heard of burning in, or breaking in speakers, but many people still don’t know what the deal is about. Wether you’ve never heard of burning speaker in, or if you’ve burned in dozens of your own products, I think you’ll still enjoy this write up.

Let me quickly explain what exactly burn in is, and how what different methods exist to use.

When you buy a speaker or headset, the drivers tend to be hard and rigid, which gives a rougher sound while listening. If the drivers become softer and looser, they tend to give a different (and generally better) sound.

There are two main ways people go about burning in there speakers.

The first way Involves using the speaker or headset for a number of hours, using a broad spectrum of different tracks (40-80hr range). Listening to a variety of tracks will allow the drivers to play many different frequencies, which will “break in” the headset.

The second way is by using a burn in track, like JLabs Burn In Track. This method uses different white and pink noises, as well as frequency sweeps to break them in. This will insure that your speakers play every frequency, and will become broken in uniformly every time.

The question still remains- which is better? Well no worries- TechMan is here to help!

I performed some tests regarding burn in to tell you exactly what will happen using both of these methods. For my testing, I purchase 2 soundcore icon minis.

For the first Icon mini I used the regular listening method, where you play music on it for around 40hrs. This gave the speaker higher clarity, and a more “audiophile” sound. It plays the music, the way the music was created. Very clear details in the mids and highs, and a natural sounding bass.

The second icon mini was burned in using the JLab Burn In Track. This method gave the speaker a very warm sounding signature. It was (more) like listening to an old fashioned tube amp. The clarity and detail wasn’t as precise, but it was a rich “creamy” sound.

Which method do I recommend? Well it really comes down to preference. If you prefer a precise and clear detailed speaker, then go for the standard break in (listening to music). If you like a warm rich sound signature, then I recommend going with a burn in track like the JLab Burn In Tracks.

Let me know what you think of burn in, and what method you prefer to use! Feel free to ask any questions, or let me know if there is any area on which you would like me to expand.

Thanks for reading!

• footnotes: I actually gave away both of the icon minis, so I don’t have any pictures of them. When I write my review on them, it also won’t have any photos
5 Likes

Nice write up about burn ins. :+1:

1 Like

There are many, many “stories” about.
Of course the membrane of a speaker needs a certain time to get free.
After a week of listening to music it is done.
No special apps or burn sound is needed

You should not use this method! :rofl:

index

2 Likes

Nice detailed article @Techman :ok_hand: I may leave it to the natural burn in like @Chiquinho suggests :wink:

1 Like

Nice write -up,

But I would prefer the traditional method – use it as needed, as much needed

Don’t stress (or burn) yourself or the speaker :smiley:

1 Like

@Ice @Shenoy it’s important to note that if you use the “traditional method” you need to listen to a variety of music to get a proper burn in. This most likely includes more types of music then you would generally listen to.

If you okay listen to certain types of music, you won’t get a full burn in, and parts of the drivers will still be rigid, and not fully loosened.

2 Likes

I agree, it may take more time to get actual burn-in but will get it eventually.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (laziness), my speakers are always going to get normal use burn in. But interesting to hear how you tried it and what the experience of the differences was.

I think I have a wide enough variety of music on my random playlist to get that aspect covered. Everything from classical, to classic rock, pop, celtic, etc.

1 Like

To be completely honest it’s more then just a variety of genre, it also has to be a variety of style and overall sound.

If you listen to classical, and you listen to rock, chances are you will listen to similar types of both- if that makes sense.

That being said, you may very well have all the different types of music you need :wink:

1 Like

If listening to heavy metal only, the speaker will sound tinny! :rofl: