Tesla is “6 years ahead of Toyota and VW”

This proves Tesla is really ahead of the game and keep the lead for few more years for sure.

One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, “We cannot do it.”

2 Likes

I saw those articles earlier today, and it is an impressive start. The question is whether they can leverage that into actual market position with volume and affordability behind it before other players catch up.

Because to be honest, all the “reasons” the big guys can’t do it are just - we haven’t in the past. They have the resources to play catchup if they decide it is worth their time.

2 Likes

Very interesting articles. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I just rode in my boss’s model 3 today for the first time. They are amazing with all of the features that they can push through to them OTA. Someone had an issue with chimes waking up his kid, boom you got Joe Mode now. Need a whoopie cushion sound that you can do on demand out of whatever speaker you want? Sure, why not. Oh you parked in a puddle, summon it backwards because you can.

He threw me off by putting it in Rainbow Road autopilot mode while it played SNL’s more cowbell in the background. I seriously want one for all of that and the power delivery alone. 65kw battery and it was throwing me back in my seat.

Clip of Rainbow Road Autopilot

1 Like

So, when do you think the big players will decide to catchup? Isn’t Tesla already making a dent in their volume? I think yes, that’s why all of them already in to the EV’s… from Nissan to Porsche :wink:

1 Like

The big companies are doing lots of work on electric cars, and many have at least one product on the market today. Pivoting to a more unified system isn’t like starting from scratch, just a consolidation process. If a particular system design turns out to be the way to go, they will be able to get to that place relatively quickly. In the meantime, they are still leveraging system similarities with their gas vehicles.

Tesla has less than 2% market share in the US, and I think less worldwide. A lot of these companies have luxury brands that sell at a similar scale to Tesla. They aren’t being dented on volume yet.
https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesfig_usa_2019