That Sounds Interesting!

First song I test with is Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine. It has nice panning for stereo testing, cymbals are crisp, tests growl/distortion reproduction, nice wall of sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctiKD8jtvV8

1 Like

I normally test new equipment with Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. I know it well and have listened to it numerous times on high end systems so I know how it’s supposed to sound. Beyond that it’s my all time favorite album.

3 Likes

My go-to for testing new stuff is Time by Hans Zimmer. The track has some deep low end sound that is hard for cheap headphones to reproduce, and some parts of the track require a good balance between midrange and treble to sound great.

1 Like

As a longtime pro DJ and proficient in mixing, I’ve always knows that the human listening frequency range is 20Hz to 20,000Hz. So when purchasing speakers or headphones, I would base my decisions on that item reaching close to that FULL range. If you purchase a speaker (or headphone) that is 40Hz to 15,000Hz, you’ll get less fidelity than what you’d get from a 20-20kHz set.

There’s also harmonic distortion and decibel range.

As for the Life Q35, it’s the best sounding wireless I’ve ever used and own. I LOVE it. I usually play 320k MP3s that I’ve mixed and created for my collection and they sound superb in the Q35.

2 Likes

Oh my god that sound started getting annoying :joy:.

I don’t have a go to song but I will try to listen to different styles so I can see if the headphones/earbuds are good or not. Or what is lacking

It is rather interesting how hearing changes. There is a commercial on tv lately that has some high frequency sound that drives me crazy but the rest of my family cannot hear not sure if it’s in the commercial intentionally or not since not everyone can hear it but it drives me crazy and sometimes hurts. I listen to a variety of music to test since I commonly listen to a variety of music anyway

Great movie @Hannah :+1:t2:. I can hear almost everything. But since 11000 Hz it has been very quiet. The laryngologist once told me that probably when I was younger I had “absolute hearing”.
Now hearing is not so good anymore.

1 Like

Interesting to play the video using the Q35 headphones. I tried with my preferred EQ setting (Acoustic) and flat.

I have constant tinnitus - about 9kHz in my right ear - by comparing with the video.
Add to that I have typical hearing loss for my age - I am now retired.
They would not normal prescribe hearing aids for my hearing, but I wear hearing aids that boost higher frequencies to help me better hear voices over the tinnitus.
I thought he seat belt alarm sound in my last car was a single tone, turns it it was a more annoying two tone sound - I couldn’t hear the higher notes.

To distract me from the tinnitus and desensitise my awareness of it, I find listening to various types of music helps.

Given that age related hearing loss is somewhat inevitable I am seeking to enjoy as much music as I can and the Q35s really help with that ambition.

I have tried the headphones with a few favourite songs, but cannot say I have a specific list.
I am revisiting a number and listening to them in HD / Ultra HD (Amazon HD trial).

• Believer - Imagine Dragons Bass / low end
  • Eyes of a Child - Christine and Queens - vocal / stereo phasing
  • Castles - Frey Riding - balance / stage
  • Man on the Moon R.E.M - 3D

I like a lot of the LUM songs included in the app - they really showcase the headphones.
Are they streamed in HD?

My previous headphones* had a Facebook group where owners shared songs and music that sounded particularly good in headphones. Such a sharing thread may be helpful here.

*they were expensive and on a subscription - sounded great but were uncomfortable and no LDAC/APTX support.

2 Likes

I do have a set playlist that I use…

Some imagine dragons, some classical, a lot of cello and some odd picks too…

Right now I’m enjoying some of the newer stuff from Demi Lovato and Falling in Reverse.

2 Likes

@TheSnarkyOne
I see you like listening to Beethoven’s 5th symphony too! :clap: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks @Hannah, the shared video with the frequencies is already one part of my tests, it helps to proof the frequency banwidth headphones can cover.

I also have a very special song to test the bass capabilities of headphones and speakers. I can really recommend it, as it makes the bass capablities transparent.

In addition to that and also mainly focussing on the Q35 it is furthermore important to have high quality losslessly compressed audio files to test and enjoy the bluetooth hi-res capabilities. (recommend FLAC and streaming providers that offer HiFi option)

2 Likes

I quite like this selection. EDM? I’ll have to check out some more of their songs today at work :slightly_smiling_face:. Dubstep too?

1 Like

@scelestus Super electronic music with surprising sound effects.:+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yes, and you should let me know what you think about the lark ascending… it’s a violin concerto.

1 Like

@TheSnarkyOne Could you please send a link to this recording?

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you very much @sodojka. :+1:

1 Like

I believe I was good til about 13000. I blame snoring and working lots of lawn equipment as source of any hearing loss. ;:rofl:

1 Like