The line between headphones and hearing aids is about to get way blurrier

Found it interesting.

2 Likes

Actually I saw something similar about this as I was watching the news this morning before I left for work.

2 Likes

Interesting read. Hope the idea travels over this side of the pond.

2 Likes

always wondered if earbuds would help my mom wonder if we will be seeing hearing aids by anker/soundcore in the future

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. This looks interesting. I’ll check it out shortly. :+1:

2 Likes

Regarding the prices of hearing aids and those of earbuds, there could be a great market.
People are getting elder and elder so the need of hearing aids is increasing.

1 Like

A family member wears earbuds, tiny in-ear. The sound quality is awful but “something better than nothing”, they whistle a bit too easily.

So a Soundcore version would be useful. Would need to be substantially smaller.

I think the smallest released products something like the Life Dot 2 A3922, it’s about 16mm at it’s widest point so you’d need to be aiming for 10mm-11mm width to fit within the ear and little external evidence. If I poke my finger in my ear the rough inner diameter of ear canal is around 10mm.

The challenge is the antenna. Hearing aids often have external antenna in an external over-ear hook. If you were to make an in-ear you’d have to route the antenna as dipole along the length of the bud. Soundcore either uses a round/oval dipole antenna in a fat head of in-ear buds or they use a dipole along the stick. They’ve never put antenna down the length (parallel to ear canal).

So I think the challenge is the bluetooth performance related to antenna, and of course battery life. You could use a small diameter driver, if the external diameter is 10mm you’d need a 6-8mm driver. They used 8mm drivers in the Dot 2.

2 Likes

Hope you will not expect a release of “baby earbuds” : age < 3 years

1 Like

My wife keeps telling me I must be deaf, as she keeps telling me things she says she has told me before, and that I need to get my hearing tested. So I did, and everything was normal (for my age). Personally, I think she is just thinking she has told me before. Either way, getting older sucks!

3 Likes

That’s psychological. :laughing:
What ohne wants to hear one hears other things not.
Especially “orders” :rofl:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Ha! You nailed it there @The_Professor! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

but alas that meme accounts for 99.9% of the male population lol

1 Like

Made a similar suggestion on the Anker community a few years ago before Soundcore branched off. They are well positioned for a cost effective hearing aid alternative.

2 Likes

Anyone here regularly wear hearing aids?

Wishlist?

Note for a Bluetooth hearing aid you’d need very good ambient mode at high volume, that would have to get around the feedback squeak challenge. If you did that via a tight seal you cause discomfort, so you’d have to do via very intelligent software in the bud.

I don’t think Soundcore has ever solved that issue as we have threads on insufficient loudness of ambient mode.

Keyword detection would be useful, so a sentence beginning with “your turn to” disabled ambient. :wink:

1 Like

my mom had to pay about 3000 out of pocket after insurance when I think of the costs here in the usa many older Americans can benefit with other options .

2 Likes