Wakey: turn off blue charging light?

Is there a way to turn off the blue charging indicator light? I want to charge my phone overnight, but the light is really bright, and makes it difficult to sleep. I have the display set to turn off during the night, but that did not turn it off. It’s like having a nightlight

As far as I know there isn’t a way to dim the blue charging light.

2 Likes

Just had an idea maybe you can give it a shot as well. Cutting up a piece of fabric cloth that could be thin but dark to cover the light to allow the charger to work.

2 Likes

Here is a threat about similar issue. It was do to misplacement or case thickness potentially. Check this thread for suggestions…

1 Like

Soundcore have accepted that it is a faulty unit and it wasn’t down to user error.
They just won’t replace it or even give me a full refund.

2 Likes

I don’t think it turns off when charging the phone but I could be wrong. The previous thread suggested I believe dealt with an issue of the light flashing however this doesn’t sound like your problem. I know amazon sells stickers to put on lights that don’t turn off to dim them. A friend of mine had bought them to put on a bunch of annoying lights that turn off. Hope you are enjoying the wakey otherwise

1 Like

It’s not a flashing light, and I have no issues charging. It’s just the wireless charging indicator light that is really bright.

3 Likes

Just for clarification, this is not a faulty unit. It would be nice to be able to either dim the light or turn it off completely. Not sure if this could be addressed in a firmware update sometime, or maybe the light is not controlled by the firmware. In any event, I will probably cover it with something for the time being or just not charge my phone overnight.

Aside from this minor annoyance, the Wakey is a very nice unit and I’m happy with it overall. I’ll do a review once I’ve gotten to know it a little better.

@Matt_Davis Did you do an actual warranty claim? On their website is says 18 month hassle free warranty. You may just need to file an official claim. https://www.soundcore.com/warranty

2 Likes

I’m glad you are enjoying it despite oite the blue light and that you are having no problems with it. I look forward to you review. Also warranties are only in place if you buy from a certified vendor such as amazon and the soundcore site. Some places aren’t covered so that might be the case

2 Likes

Good advice on the warranty, and the brightness of that blue light has been discussed in various reviews on here in the past. Some cloth or tape is probably your best bet to get it dimmed adequately.

2 Likes

I’m going to come up with something. Hopefully it won’t have to be a permanent solution, I would hate to basically ruin a very nice looking machine with a piece of tape :frowning:

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be the first piece of electronic equipment with take to cover a bright light in my bedroom. My wireless charger has one too. Stupid bright blue lights.

1 Like

Hi! Chiming in that turning this blue light off would be useful.

I don’t need the indicator and it lights up my whole room.

1 Like

The blinking colon on the time display is equally annoying. Essentially it changes the light levels in a darkened room 60 times a minute.

The blinking offers nothing. How often are you timing something in your bedroom that requires seconds to be counted off? And if you need to, you have your phone.

Is the blinking light there to indicate that it’s working? The fact that the clock displays at all is proof enough that it works. If you can see the time, you can see it’s working. It’s not like you have to see the blinking to know that the clock is working, right?

It reminds me of the blinking clocks on VCRs in the 1980s and 1990s.

Boo Hiss on the blinking colon!

Maybe this can be addressed in a firmware update.

1 Like

I would send your suggestions to service@soundcore.com. They will likely get seen quicker.

I would hope that their engineers/design people read these forums.

To solve the blinking colon issue, you can turn the display off between the hours you normally sleep by setting the display to night mode. If you want to see the time, just push any button and the display will turn on temporarily.

1 Like

Does covering up the colon area of the screen solve it?

2 Likes

That sounds like a very reasonable workaround to the blinking. Not perfect, but reasonable.

Also, I wouldn’t use duck tape. But another light blocking material that doesn’t leave a nasty residue could do the job.

1 Like

Blue light travels faster (shorter smaller waves) than red light (think of ROY G BIV) so in darkness blue light is brighter. That’s why the sky is blue and exit signs in dark theaters are red. If the blue light were red, it would be dimmer and less annoying. Too bad the light can’t be red.