Wakey: turn off blue charging light?

Blue light is wide than red for sleep. But easier to make with leds. Bad combination.

My modded Wakey. right angle plastic covers blue light. Tiny piece of blue painter’s tape covers blinking colon, plastic ruler covers first row lights so I can listen to podcasts as I fall asleep without the bright bluetooth indicator light showing.

Man this is a decently older thread. If I thought I would not like the blinking light ( which I do nt have one yet), I think I would check to see how maybe black fingernail polish would do. I would probably either open it up to paint it with nail polish and paint it on the inside of it or on the outsdie onto the felt covering.

I personally like those little lights at night from a charging port or others devices as it helps me navigate my way to the bathroom in the dark.

Wrong.

In a vacuum, all light travels at the same speed. In a medium like air the speed of light is almost identical independent of color. There is scattering though which is frequency dependent.

Blue light is a higher frequency so more energy per photon but blue light is not necessarily brighter.

Blue light is more annoying to humans as it is associated with the sleep response. Scattering in the atmosphere off molecules in air manifest as the sun sets, the blue light which goes straight to ground, is scattering red light, so the light turns red as the sun sets, so blue light is a sign of “wake up!” vs red light more of a “get ready to sleep”.

The reason for blue light for night seeing is because in the human eye the refraction based on color is stronger than in air, and blue light will focus in an open iris more than red light will , so a red light is blurred in a night-adjusted eye, while red light is less so. That is why blue is often used for night displays. If you changed the color from blue to red then most people would just see a blur when eyesight is night adjusted.

I’d be wary of making inaccurate statements as someone out there will think it true.

1 Like