What’s Your Earliest Gig Memory?

Hi everyone,

Since we all hail from different parts of the world but are united by our love of music, I thought it would be fun if we all reminisced about our earliest gig memories today!

Let me begin…

My first gig was to go see My Chemical Romance with a couple of friends on a school night (very rebellious) and when Gerard Way stepped out of the smoke, it made all of my teenage emo dreams come true :joy: My memories of that night involve being crushed, non-stop jumping, singing along to every song, and stuffing confetti in my pocket as it fell on me (I later put it in a frame with my ticket and some grainy pictures). At the time I thought it was the best day of my life—how cliché!

What about you guys? Are you like @Will who went to see Bouncing Souls at a music festival, experienced his first mosh pit and ended up drenched in sweat and mud. Maybe you were forced to go see an artist you can’t stand by your friends, or perhaps you were performing at the gig?

:guitar: :microphone: :drum:

Share your stories in the comments below!

1 Like

We had some special “connections” this time, so we really got tickets.
UNBELIEVABLE!

1 Like

That’s a really cool experience to have!

1 Like

The first “gig” memory I have is driving to a small HS gymnasium in another state where there was a free concert being played. I was in high school, and just wanted the opportunity to get out of my rural small town. There were only a few hundred people there; I was right next to the stage and I had not heard anything so loud in my life. The band was using wedge floor monitors and I could hear the bass players mix more than the stage speakers themselves. After the show the band all hung out in the foyer and were really nice guys. I’ve been to much bigger and better concerts/festivals over the years but that one will always have a special place in my heart.

They did not make it “big”; their songs have frequently been in several television shows as background songs, but if you were ever watching SportCenter in circa 2003, you probably heard this song of theirs:

Bleach - We are Tomorrow:

2 Likes

My first concert was to see Korn. I think I was 11 or 12 years old. :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

It was 1978, and my sister had won tickets to Journey. At first I was happy to go, but after getting there and finding it was Front Row, with Backstage passes. Was The best time, at the age of 15, was just Amazing.

2 Likes

Bit cringe…

But first big concert was seeing New Kids on the Block at the London Arena in Docklands (now demolished!). One of my school friend’s dad drove us all up there in the back of his transit van - think it was maybe 1990!! Eek, makes me feel so old - don’t feel it at all!!

2 Likes

Never been to a concert. Would love to go to one of Shreya Ghoshal or Arijit Singh or many others lol

1 Like

I know @Chiquinho is going to like mine :grin:.

My first gig that I went to was the opera “Aida”. It was (and still is) a great opera!

3 Likes

Went to a few live events in college, including a Phil Keaggy performance - but this isn’t something I remember very clearly, and I don’t love the live music experience, the volume is typically too much for me and always has been.

2 Likes

Operas are always fantastic performances.
We have a subscription for the Nationaltheater in München.
But at the moment there are no performances. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Can’t remember first haven’t done to many but worked at barclays for a stint so saw many, but first one I paid for and truly just was giving with the music has to be nico and vinz at Irving plaza in 2015

This isn’t my video but wish I go to be this close up energy was on point.
2 Likes

I’ve never had a chance to see an opera but it’s something to add to my to-do list :grinning:

2 Likes

Lets try to give you some suggestions:

La Traviata (Verdi)
Die Zauberflöte (Mozart)
Tosca (Puccini)

I am sure these are the best for a new bee to get in touch with operas!
Wagner is difficult to understand, but of course beautiful!

1 Like

Did not do any in high school and not much in college. Did get to see Vanilla ice before he broke out. Not music related, I did get Penn and Tellers autographs at a performance only to have it magically disappear by my mother later on in that year :frowning: :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope one day I have the chance to go and see one

The first show I paid to see was Motley Crue in '89. Warrant opened. I saw several shows at the state fair before that though. One being The Judds right as they were getting big. That Crue show was the beginning of a long journey. Been to about 350 shows since, from Willie Nelson to Snoop Dogg to Slayer and back again.

1 Like

I was talking to a few friends and the conversation went in the direction of the first concerts we attended. I figured I’d ask the people here which concert(s) they saw first?

1. My first concert was Bad Company at The Olympia (The Detroit Red Wings home when I was a kid).
  2. My second concert was Aerosmtih only 2 weeks later at Cobo Arena. Both venues are located in Detroit Michigan. I think the year was 1975.
  3. I’m almost positive my third concert was the The Who at The Pontiac Silverdome (also in 1975)
1 Like