What’s Your Favorite Vintage Audio Tech? #ThrowbackThursday

Hi everyone,

While visiting my parents’ home recently, I stumbled across my old Sony CD Walkman while searching through some boxes of my stuff. Intrigued, I pulled it out of the box along with some CDs from my younger years, found some batteries, and guess what… IT WORKS!

And with that, the happy memories of taking my Walkman on long car journeys and family vacations, complete with a carefully-curated selection of CDs came rushing back to me. Ahh…Those were the days :sunglasses:

So, it got me thinking. Since it’s #ThrowbackThursday today (let’s bring this hashtag back), I want to know what piece of vintage tech you guys can’t bear to part with? And even better, is there something which you still use on a regular basis despite the fact its decades out of date?

Share your stories in the comments below!

4 Likes

You want to learn something about real “vintage”? :smile:

I own many vintage devices, what else can be expected in an old man’s house. :wink:

Thorens turntable, REVOX Tape. AKAI reciever, and BRAUN speakers.
(I bought those when I was a student, the money I got from jobs beside studies)

All about 45 years old now and WORKING!!! properly.
(This quality will never be reached by the items are manufactured today)

Many Vinyl records of course.
Those are well sought-for today.

This year I got a pile of those from a lady.
She has to move to the retirement home.
Treasures as well.

But may I tell you the truth?
What I really use : The Flares, the Motion+ and the ZERO! :rofl:

4 Likes

I miss using my old 8 track cassette deck, that thing was a beast. I remember falling asleep at my grandmothers house listening to the blues brothers. For me nothing quite sounded like the 8 track cassettes, it had a distinct sound that even newer cassette tapes couldnt match.

3 Likes

I could of had you one for free but then you would have had to found a way to get it LOL(not available now) My wife’s grandmother had died about a 1/2 year ago and they had us in the house getting what we wanted one last time. Anyway, she had one that was a big piece of furniture and you lifted the lid ( or that was what I remember of it) It was a nice piece. My mother in law was trying to give it to me.

Our main thing we grabbed was an antique bedroom set that was back from the 70’s or so.

4 Likes

I have two one that older and one not too old.

1. I got a 2005 30 gig Zune that I still use. It still has a decent battery life. It is my oldest tech that still relies on a Jack (Still remember Jack when I use this device )

2. Since I do game some, I still have a 1973 Radio Shack pong system. I really need to if it still works as most tvs do not have the older connections…

5 Likes

I found an old record player at my house when I moved out for college. I took it and a bunch of classical albums and listened to them when studying for finals. Always enjoyed some good Beethoven!

6 Likes

LvB!!!
You know this year is his 250 birthday.
There are so many fantastic compositions.
Not only “Freude voller Götterfunken”
(Take a listening to his sonatas, not only the “moonshine” ) :smile:

4 Likes

5 Likes

I miss my old Panasonic anti slip cd Walkman, it was bright yellow and wasted batteries like nobodies business but that thing was indestructible!

5 Likes

I bet my mother in law would have that somewhere in their house.

3 Likes

All that vintage audio, but Soundcore is at the top :wink: Love it!

3 Likes

I don’t really keep old equipment. I have a few of the original ipods, as well as a few other newer ipods.

I have an old pioneer stereo system but it’s only 2001

4 Likes

I had a CD player as my first portable audio kit, but after that I moved onto the iPod, and to be honest I think that (along with Limewire haha) had a massive impact on my teenage years.

One day I actually found an old school boombox, so I bought a casette tape off ebay with an aux cable coming out of it, so that I could actually play my iPod via the cassette player in this boombox. We had many good parties with that thing.

Found a couple of pictures! Ignore the beer bottles haha.

8 Likes

I had a old Sony Walkman during my school days, and a heqdset with 3.5mm … Loved using it… but thatbwent away after I got into.college, replaced with desktop speakers …

3 Likes

Nice thread topic. Brought back some nostalgia for me.

It’s not really something I would consider vintage, but maybe it’s vintage by today’s standards.
I used to own a Sony Walkman cassette player, which I had to Google, as there’s no way I could still remember the model #.

Turns out, it was the WM-FX303

Picture does not belong to me - taken off the internet (https://ivthepolymath.bandcamp.com/)

I have spent in-numerous hours (and countless rechargeable batteries) listening to my favorite 90’s tunes on this thing… from Bon Jovi, to Snow (Informer), to UB40, to Apache Indian, to Nirvana… you name it.

5 Likes

I like old speakers and sound hardware at times. But I am very happy to no longer be dealing with tapes or CDs, or even DVDs. Scratches, tape getting caught on the way through, reduced sound quality over time, all sorts of things I don’t love.

What is strange to me is vinyl making a comeback. Saw it in a store the other day, no cassette tapes but a big corner full of Vinyl. Don’t really understand that one at all.

2 Likes

I hear you. My wife asked for a vinyl player for Christmas last year.

1 Like

After I found my CD walkman I also tried to find my old cassette player, complete with microphone which my friends and I used to record our ‘radio show’ on :joy: but sadly it’s long gone, along with the cassette tapes

1 Like

Its a question of usability.
:wink:

I have a lot of my favorites stored on my laptop.
The Flares and/or Motion+/ZERO in front of this.
Easy to handle.
And not to forget : Radio via internet.

1 Like