Where do the regulars come from?

I didn’t find a fitting column to place this. SORRY.

I know there are not so many regulars here.
I know some from USA, some from UK, one from CA, one from Lithuania
and me from Germany.

Our friend from Poland has left us. :thinking:

That’s so sad.
Shrinking!
May be the whole “system” needs a renovation to keep more newbies here.
It would be easy to keep them here, we made suggestions, but : still the same.

2 Likes

USA

There is a lot more social media presence over the last few years and there is probably a more of an effort to make more of that content per say.

I would have thought there would have been more of an effort to flow members out to the social media as well as flowing the social media back to the community.

As far as I can tell they seem to have a decent social media presence … so who knows what will be coming next.

2 Likes

UK (Scotland)

Let’s hope the yet undisclosed plans make it a community worth newbies and regulars want to keep getting involved.

3 Likes

UK

Currently my account cannot get Notes so the trading for vouchers isn’t available for me.

I run a 20 year old community, the running costs funded through donations. The activity is cyclical based topics of interest.

Right now here we are in a lull, gap between product announcements, the last one being X10, before that Frames, Liberty 3 Pro, etc. I’d expect activity to uptick on the next product.

The ToS actively pushes down discussion of future products. So the discussion of upcomping products is not here, forcing it to be quiet here til they are announced.

The need to only discuss Soundcore or music, combined with the above makes for anemic engagement by the few.

So to make this place more active you’d need:

• released / updated products, that will happen naturally, just wait a period, probably not many weeks til the next one.
  • remove the ToS component of not discussing unannounced products. Then the chatter “in other places” moves here.
  • remove leaderboard so the anemic “random music thread to earn daily points” goes.
  • allow prizes / competitions which is more inclusive. The leaderboard prizes spent in other ways would help.
5 Likes

Personally I enjoy the collective I may not always agree with people but all in all I think its a decent group of people here. I love the challenges to explore music I would not normally listen to, learning more about the equipment I own and my growing list of wants.
Now to answer your question, I am from Brooklyn New York, my dad served in the military during Korea and Nam so I did a little shuffling about growing up but home was always Brooklyn. I worked for the Post Office in management and retired in 2005. After retiring I traveled through Europe with England as my base so to speak. While in England I lived in Bristol, London, and Weymouth. I was blessed to travel around a bit. I returned to the USA and have lived everywhere from the north east to southwest and the mid west. Due to my parents health I returned to the Northeast to be closer to them ( 2 miles away to be exact lol )I am blessed to have deer as my closest neighbors along with woodchucks aka groundhogs, skunks, opossum, racoon, beavers, fox, coyotes, bear and my favorite the feral cats who we work hard to gain their trust. I work to keep busy . And I am glad to have meet each and everyone of the people here

4 Likes

We have made such and other proposals so often to improve the forum.
But it’s still the same nothing changed since a long time.

3 Likes

I really forgot : I am from München in Bayern.

Retired computer engineer.
Now more a caretaker. :laughing:
Yesterday I cleaned the fireplace pulses of my tilestove.
Not a difficult job, more a dirty one.
But now its fine the 2 tiles which I opened are fixed again with fireproof cement.
Winter can come.

I was playing in a band in the 1960/70.
But I had to give up when starting studying computer engineering
In those days at the beginnings of computer science we worked with punching cards,
programming ALGOL60, FORTRAN and COBOL and of course Assembler, which is the most interesting programming task at all. :
(Bytes, registers, hex-dumps :grinning:)

Now at home in my little pensioner’s office I
play around with old laptops (LINUX)
So I am happy not to be urged to use WIN and MAC anymore. :rofl:
(Though I own an old MAC-book, where I can install LINUX when I want)

2 Likes

My first interaction with a computer was via writing in special characters on paper for it to OCR, in the 70s.

Then in the 80s a computer came with a keyboard and screen, so had to retrain to use.

I recently paid a young chap to help do some heavy lifting in garden, the minute the specific task was done he’d sit down and look at his phone.

I do wonder how much working hours lost in the work place with distraction of phones.

I once worked in a place where they stopped computers from accessing websites which were not work related. So I setup a bypass for myself, then when an arrogant security “expert” spoke how good was their system I demo’s my bypass, then showed how I access their network from outside. The “expert” was 20 years younger and has never truly learned how computers actually work. Their “fix” was to tell me to not teach anyone my method.

I look at people now with easy access via their phones and instant information, and remember when I used to “write a letter” to a computer and get a reply a week later 40+ years ago.

2 Likes

Are these really useful informations?
I think 99% is crap.

At the university we had of course unlimited access to anything.
Some companies don’t allow such access at all ( downloading spy- and other malware)
which is often done.

The admins are often really not qualified to care about
a well done protection of their servers.
And WIN is much more vulnerable than any other OS.
Like a Swiss cheese! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

BTW the most good hosted servers are LINUX-ones, what else! :laughing:

1 Like

Funny yes it’s called Windows as everyone can look in!

The internet is mostly not true. Particularly in a few countries. The old skills of know people and speak with them can get nearer to truth.

2 Likes

USA

Originally from Detroit, Michigan, currently residing in N.E. PA.

2 Likes

For those who don’t live in USA these abbreviations are mysteries. :smile:

I could use : M.BY.:rofl:

1 Like

One should never forget, using WIN reduces the performance of a computer a lot.
All the programs running in the background (eg. Antivirus, and others)
One should take a look (Task manager) and switch off those which are not needed.

But if one finds a keylogger there, keep it.
Turning it off, makes one suspicious! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Detroit, Michigan USA

2 Likes

You are more than welcome here. :smiley:
What kind of music do you like?

N.E. PA = Northeastern Pennsylvania (Poconos) @Chiquinho

1 Like

All things Alternative and indie. Love 80’s new Wave, dark Wave, synth and the current alt band like Alt-J, Passion Pit, Foals, Silversun Pickups etc

2 Likes

I’m originally from Detroit as well @scottdanbert. Small world.

I saw most of my concerts at Cobo. Also quite a few at Pine Knob, a few st the Silverdome (terrible acoustics), and a few at Masonic (excellent place to see a concert). I almost forgot, I saw Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow at Royal Oak Music Theater (Great Show)

I’m mainly into Classic Rock, but enjoy Motown quite a bit. I also listen to some Cassical now and then.

PS Welcome aboard! :wave:

1 Like

I saw you were replying to a thread were @Craig_Paterson was talking about that kind of music.

1 Like

Agree with your whole post. Anker has redirected their efforts away from their forums. Add in nothing big happening, and excitement / activity dies down naturally.

Interestingly, the leaderboard has no prizes still for this month, 2/3 of the way through. And the giveaways haven’t been run since May. Could be prepping for an overhaul, or a quiet pulling of the plug.

4 Likes