Which would you choose?

I’m not ashamed to say that on my wedding day I forced our live band to play Wonderwall by Oasis not once, not twice, but three times (as you can imagine I’d had a few beers by that point). I wish I was joking, but that really is true. @Will was actually there, so he can testify to the authenticity of this tale :wink: With my family being English and my wife’s family being Samoan, it’s fair to say that 50% of the crowd were having a great time and the other 50%, well, not so much. As the band said, “I’ve never seen a crowd flip between Pacific Island Reggae to English Alt Rock so quickly and still enjoy themselves so much.”

As you can guess, it’s my favourite song of all time and now the song my wife and I share with a very special memory. So, if I had to choose just one song that I could listen to the for the rest of my life and no other, this is what it would be.

We all have that one song that means more to us than any other. Perhaps it brings back special memories, reminds of us a particular time in our lives or just sounds incredible. So tell me, if you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be? And why? What makes this song so special for you?

Let’s see what you’ve got :boom:

4 Likes

Bohemian Rhapsody for sure. It has been in my top 10 favorite songs since I was about 5 years old. I used to play it at ear numbing levels when my parents would run errands (when I was a teen) on my dad’s 45 Hi-Fi stereo and still love it to this day.

2 Likes

Such a tune! Still haven’t gotten round to watching the film :expressionless:

This is such a difficult choice for me as I tend to switch genres completely every few months.

If I absolutely had to choose, it would probably be Slegehammer by Peter Gabriel, just cause I’d be able to watch the amazing music video.

Also, if covers are allowed, then the Ninja Sex Party cover is real great as well.

If anyone hasn’t seen this, I’d recommend it:

Also the great NSP cover:

1 Like

Too many to choose from, no way I could narrow it down to a single one :laughing:

Split between two on this one…Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen would have to be the favourite to win out of the two, closely followed by a more recent one Something You Love by Kiefer Sutherland…the second could change in a few months as I jump to another I keep hearing on the radio or playlist :grin:

1 Like

Carl Douglas Kung Fu Fighting

Why it was funny, silly, had some good tunes and Kung Fu fighting in the song LOLOLOL

1 Like

I highly suggest both that and Rocketman if you haven’t seen it. Both are crazy rollercoasters throughout the entire film as well as both actors absolutely killed it as the characters.

1 Like

I’ll go with hit the road Jack. Something nostalgic about it for me.

3 Likes

My forever song is “Wind of Change” by the Scorpions. They were very popular when I was in high school and this song always reminds of my younger days when life was simple.

1 Like

Many songs from the Beatles and Dire Straigts.

And another crazy one from my youth :
In a gadda da vida ( Iron Butterfly )
This was a milestone in those days.:wink:

1 Like

I remember the Beatles very well from growing up. One of the main things they heard.

1 Like

My son to listen to always, is Slippin’ by. DMX
The reason I like this song so much is because it touches home on so many levels. I can relate a lot to this song, the struggles the trials and tribulations and basically hitting rock bottom…the only part I dont relate to is the doing drugs, that was never my thing.

Another song that I can relate to and also wouldn’t mind listening to everyday forever, is I Miss You also by DMX. This song is about losing his grandmother and talking about how the family has changed without her…yea thats my family too.

Its craziness how we can find a song and relate to it on so many levels. But either song I could listen to forever and a day. Its more so as a reminder of who I am, where I have been, and how far I have come. Never let the struglles hold you down and never secumb to your own demise

1 Like

Big Country by Bela Fleck & Edgar Meyer.

1 Like

@Rhyse_Simpson I am always saying that the Sledgehammer video is the best music video of all time.

However, in the interest of democracy I created a thread devoted to this. Go check it out and nominate other videos, and then we will have a vote!

2 Likes

There’s really no way I can do that. I get tired of my favorite songs after hearing them to many times. I have about 20 go to songs that I keep in heavy rotation.

1 Like

God is Dead?- Black Sabbath

1 Like

Without second thought or hesitation, it would be Benny Goodman’s recording of “Sing, Sing, Sing”.
Sing, Sing, Sing - Benny Goodman and his Orchestra

So many whys:

• Not just a favorite, I’m often humming or whistling it when it’s not on - granted it’s on in my head.
  • It’s a perfect embodiment of my favorite style: jazz - though more specifically “swing” (it always gets me tapping my feet and feeling good). Simply put, the song SWINGS!
  • It’s written by a favorite of mine: Louis Prima
  • BENNY GOODMAN - few other wind instrumentalists can compare… he slays the clarinet and led what is arguably one of the (if not THE) best big bands in history (I do have love for a couple others).
  • It’s a song that I wish could just keep going and going… it actually could with the versatility and capability of the performers (perfect if it’s going to be the one song for the rest of my life).
  • It’s long… and not just for songs now-a-days, back then songs were limited to approx 3 minutes (due to record size), but Benny’s recording was innovative and bold in that it used both sides of a 12", 78rpm record to reach just over 8.5min in length (great for being the last and only song for the rest of my life). In fact, the recording has been performed live with improvisations and solos that make it even longer, and there are later released recordings that feature multiple “Parts” such as the 12.5 minute Sing, Sing, Sing (with a Swing) version which features an interpolation of “Christopher Columbus” - another Louis Prima riff.
  • GENE KRUPA doesn’t just keep time, he puts on a clinic with drums.
  • Every subsequent version of this recording performed by others (really dig the vocal rework by Anita O’Day) are great… which to me makes for a truly phenomenal composition that can maintain the foundation for any rendition… or I’m really just THAT into it.
    *Here are some examples just for fun:
    Andrews Sisters
    80 piece classical orchestra
    British Army flash mob
    Electro swing remix
    Another electro remix
    Chill with bongos
    Rocked out version
    John Pizzarelli & Jeff Hamilton quartet
    and lastly one with just strings and drums performed by high schoolers - great arrangement!
2 Likes

Definitely Pictures of Matchstick Men by The Status Quo.

Or… Dancing in the Moonlight by King Harvest. The two have been constant over the course of my life.

1 Like