Why Superstar Artists are selling rights to their songs

Building off of @mike2468 had posted about shakira selling rights to her song it seems many other artists are doing the same and leaving some of us wondering why. This article talks about different artists that sold the rights to their music and why we might be seeing such selling occurring all of a sudden.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if they’re gunna regret it once the pandemic is over :thinking:. But either way I guess they’re getting paid so… some of them are listed as some high prices up there !!

1 Like

Oooo this is a good find @ktkundy

1 Like

Nice find. Thanks.

I dunno, most of the early artist that did that regretted it from what I read. Most artist get small amounts of money each time a song is played on the radio or a streaming service. Unless the payout is better than the long term money earning I would think its a bad idea.

1 Like

True, but royalties from commercial airplay is low and with streaming services taking a good bite out of radio, I think the artists are seeing a dip.

Let’s not forget the agents take too, as well as recording co / label.

Makes sense to get an upfront lump sum… just hope they are good at managing their cash… lol