Flare+ custom EQ bug

Setting custom equalisation on Flare+ using the iPhone app doesn’t work for me (same on Android). There is no bass to be heard whatsoever in this mode. Out of 9 EQ sliders only 7 work (3 Midrange, 3 Treble and the highest one in Bass). The 2 lowest Bass sliders don’t affect the sound at all.
There isn’t a way I can create a usable custom EQ setting with this since bass frequencies are always at zero.

Note: Turning Bass Up on doesn’t help either.

My question is: does it work for anyone? Is there a software version that fixes it?

Or is it disabled on purpose to prevent a bass-heavy setting from damaging the speaker?

Flare+, firmware v. 2.91 (latest)
iOS app v. 2.0.4
(tested on recent Android as well)

Just curious, have you used an actual meter of some sort to test the bass frequencies?

I don’t have the flare+, but I have the flare, and adjusting the bass definitely makes a huge difference.

Just a listening test. There is no audible difference whatsoever with those two sliders up or down. I can crank them both all the way up, then switch to any of the standard presets, even Voice, and only then the bass appears making it obvious it was not present at all in Custom.

I’m not alone in this btw:
https://community.soundcore.com/t/flare-firmware-updates/416253

Can confirm everything you’re saying. I’m surprised no one else has bought this speaker and attempted to set a custom EQ. The difference between custom and non custom EQ is so obvious, no measuring device is required. Custom sounds so flat and empty like an old school clock radio. I suspect the programmers of the firmware did a copy paste job from the regular Flare which has woofers but no tweeters and therefore probably breaks the Flare+ woofer/tweeter design.

1 Like

@rafalski @johnalsayegh I recommend contacting soundcore support (service@soundcore.com) and reporting the issue. The more people that report it to the support team, the more likely it is to be fixed.

Also, if you get a generic answer from the support team (which I find pretty likely in this case), there will be a link to escalate the case at the bottom of the response email. You can use that if you get a “generic answer”.

1 Like

Thanks sir! Will do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. Good idea @TechMan ! I already sent detailed feedback from the app today when it asked me if I liked it :slight_smile: but will use this email address too!

1 Like

Update: got a really quick reply from Soundcore support. They enabled new firmware (presumably beta) for one of my speakers (had to give them the serial number for it to download it).

Surprise: custom equalization now works! I was able to get settings with really pleasant clarity to them, I’m sure I am not going back to standard EQ presets for most of my listening.

On the downside: Bass Up still doesn’t work. I’ll keep inquiring about this. That said, if I push the two bass sliders up and set the remainder of sliders under 50%, I can get sound that has a very decent amount of bass in the mix, pretty close to Default or Chill with Bass Up on.

Now waiting to get my second speaker updated.

Glad it worked out for you! Soundcore support usually replied very quickly!

Enjoy your speakers!

1 Like