Liberty Air 2 Pro only have SBC and AAC why not aptX

I’d be curious as to the licensing costs on each of the codecs… if aptx is costly, would make sense they dropped it… especially if sbc and AAC don’t have much noticeable difference and are lower licensing fees.

It’s not a codec cost, it’s a function of hardware chips used.

1 Like

Which probably has something to do with licensing fees - apparently AptX adds a $ per devices. That will have an impact on margins at some point.

1 Like

There is no teardown for the LA2P yet (that a cursory search can find). If anyone knows of one we can look up the hardware.

We have the PM from Soundcore saying:

and if you search for BES they don’t do AptX.

You may be correct this is a cost issue, Soundcore chose to use BES to be lower cost than Qualcomm, but I doubt it’s a licensing issue as Qualcomm own AptX

http://www.bestechnic.com/home/product/index

BES emphasises ANC so I’m thinking what Soundcore did was “we want ANC” then “hit price point” then BES, and so not AptX.

But without Soundcore making any statements, this is conjecture and so easily incorrect.

The Life Q30 with ANC doesn’t have AptX either, the public information shows BES also.

Which makes total sense. Qualcomm has AptX, BES has ANC, does Soundcore sell a product which does both AptX and ANC? The above suggests no?

It does seem odd there are some strong opinions and few facts here, so hopefully this post increases the fact to opinion ratio.

1 Like