Motion Boom custom EQ for better clarity and open sound question

@ALEX2960
I played it at 100% volume few hours in garden. Seems alright. Everything is working.

But that just me.
You are not overclocking anything just using app provided my Soundcore.

try +5 +4 +2 +4 +6 +4 +3 +4 +2

EQ is a tricky thing. Everyone hears differently, listens to different types of music. Even within the same genre, it can be mastered differently. Add to that depending on placement, the sound will change. Thatā€™s a long-winded way of saying that I donā€™t believe a perfect EQ for everyone and all situations exists.

This is where I am currently. Since ā€œmore clarityā€ is the topic of this thread, I thought Iā€™d share. Remember, this is with my Motion Boom in the corner of a bedroom, sitting on top of my bed:

Response still drops after peaking above 13 KHz, just as it did previously. The Samsung A54 that Iā€™m now using comes with a ā€œDolby Atmosā€ app, and I leave it on ā€œAutoā€, as any of the other presets screw up the frequency response too much and make anything Iā€™m listening to sound worse. With the Auto setting enabled, thereā€™s a slight increase of ambience and stereo effect sometimes that actually helps the Motion Boomā€™s lack of stereo presence without drastically affecting the frequency response too much. Thereā€™s also a slight increase of volume with it enabled, so I usually leave it on. When EQing, I ran manual sweeps and compared with the Auto setting and Off. Frequency response deviations between the two werenā€™t enough to warrant any EQ alterations.

I still suspect some slight peakiness in the top octave with my current EQ setting, but Iā€™m leaving it for now. There are several dips and peaks that canā€™t be improved with the provided software, like an obvious dip between 6 to 7.5 KHz that I really wish I could alleviate. Not surprisingly, harmonic distortion performance seems quite low as well, especially in the lower frequencies, but thatā€™s to be expected. Still, my Motion Boom probably sounds better right now than it ever has.

That said, these units are still lacking, and I still want to improve the sound with some minor and simple modifications. The resonances I mentioned in my previous post still bug me to no end, as I often hear them quite easily during music listening, even at modest levels. On top of eliminating these severe vibrations, I still want to experiment with stuffing the enclosure with various amounts of Polyfill to improve the ā€œbassā€ and lower midrange response.

Thatā€™s it for now. Iā€™ll update if I ever crack mine open and try the aforementioned modifications. Happy listening!

Edit: I also want to mention the possibility of a significant boost centered around 50 Hz (digitally or electronically) that is particularly noticeable at full volume. While this doesnā€™t lead to an actual peak in the resulting frequency response, it does significantly increase the likelihood of blown speakers! Iā€™m sure theyā€™re doing this to increase low frequency response, as most 2 to 3 inch drivers typically begin to fall off well above 100 Hz. So, the low frequencies are already boosted very heavily from the factory (too much, in my opinion), even with the 80 Hz slider at 0 dB. Be careful with frequent 50 Hz bass notes at or near maximum volume levels! Iā€™m saying this as a result of my own experience (I nearly blew my Motion Boomā€™s speakers one day with the frequency generator!). If you play a 50 Hz sinewave recorded at 0 dB at maximum volume, your speakers will likely be toast after a few seconds, even with the 80 Hz band lowered. Just passing along what Iā€™ve learned. Take careā€¦

Try these settings for motion boom +ā€¦you will be thankful to me 80Hz+5db, 150hz+2db, 300hz+0db, 600hz+2db, 1.2khz+0db, 2.5khz+2db, 5khz+4db, 9khz+6db, 13khz+4db.

Thanks to the previous user who pointed out the frequency responce graph, very useful.
Here is my initial interpretation that sounds great in my kitchen.
+0,+3,-2,-2,+1,+2,+6,+5,+0

please try

+5 +8 +5 +8 +5 +8 +5 +8 +5

you will love this

Which firmware version is this?

FW 00.43 & FW 00.44 have different sound

Did you write the message to me?

Yes
I have 2 Soundcore Motion Booms
One is on Firmware 00.43, the other is on Firmware 00.44 & both doesnā€™t sound thesame, from your EQ above, my guess is you are on firmware 00.43 or below because on firmware 00.44 for example, those EQ of yours will cause serious distortion in volumes above 60%

Firmware 00.44 bass up off. I donā€™t feel any distortion in the sound.

Oh, i see
Bass up off, i havenā€™t turned bass up off ever, for me that bass being full is typically one of the reasons i purchased the unit in the first place, but hey, whatever sounds good to you is all that matters, the EQ i use on fw 00.44 is +2 +1 +1 0 0 0 +2 +3 +1, alongside bass up on, that sounds good & balanced to my own ears, i donā€™t play past 75% volume most times, letā€™s all enjoy whatā€™s good to us

Cheers!

1 Like

I will try thank you

1 Like

Sure, Uwc!