Question 😀

I came across the expression “Folksy music”.
In German we say “Volksmusik” and “Volkstümliche Musik”.

I know that real Bavarian “Volksmusik” is very different from that so called “Volkstümliche Musik”.

Is there such a difference between that true “Folk music” and this “Folksy music” in your countries as well?
Is this expression “Folksy Music” used and correct,
or is there another more used one for this kind of “artificial folk music”?

I could not find something about this theme by searching

I just call it Folk Music (I’m not an expert though):
folk music, type of traditional and generally rural music that originally was passed down through families and other small social groups . Typically, folk music, like folk literature, lives in oral tradition; it is learned through hearing rather than reading.

Here’s some examples:
Scarborough Fair.
Greensleeves.
Early One Morning.
Swing Low Sweet Chariot.
Kalinka.
Auld Lang Syne.
Oh Danny Boy.
Waltzing Matilda.

This is one of my favorites:

I really like this version though (The Anime is excellent as well, but sad)

2 Likes

I know, but how would you call “this artificial folk music”,
which has nothing to do with the folk music.
I know a lot examples in German music scene and I am sure it exists in USA also.
There is a whole “music industry” creating this kind of music which has nothing to do with folk music.

1 Like

I have no clue when it comes to that. I just know of the traditional Folk music. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

I found something may be better :
“tradional folk music” and “contemporary folk music”.

Seems this fits to my “Volksmusik” and “volkstümliche Music” better.

1 Like

I see the term folky as meaning music that is not folk music but may have aspects of the folk music genre.

I would say Germany and US folk music should be somewhat similar to a point. Since a lot of the Germans who came to America settled settled in areas such as WV, Kentucky or Tennessee.
(or at least it what I remember from either history class or reading it somewhere) The area has similar features. So I would assume some aspects are as well.

2 Likes

OK “folky” exists
Good to know.

I am asking because I found a bavarian internet radio station
playing true (echte) “Volksmusik”.
I was listening to it this afternoon and the music was perfect, for those who like.

One could give it a try, and there is “echte Volksmusik” announced. :smile:

https://www.schwany.de/echte-volksmusik.html.

I don’t know how to name it but I understand what you mean :grinning:. I know such music.

1 Like

I think @Chiquinho has that kind of music in mind.
Very popular in Poland:

2 Likes

Probably something similiar but German😀

1 Like