10 Out of 10 with Cassidy Turbin

Next up in our 10 quick fire questions for the 10 Grammy Winning Audio Engineers who helped make Liberty 2 Pro is @cassidyturbin. Feel free to ask Cassidy your own questions down below. Let’s go!

What’s your full name?

James Cassidy Turbin but I go by “Cassidy Turbin”

How many Grammy awards have you won and what for?

I have won 5 grammy awards.

best engineered album, non-classical recording (2014)

best engineered album, non-classical recording (2018)

album of the year (2014)

best alternative music album (2018)

best rock album (2014)

What’s something not many people know about you?

I’m not sure. Maybe that I’m also a drummer.

Which artists have you worked with?

Off the top of my head, some of my favorites are: Storefront Church, Keyon Harrold, Tashaki Miyaki, Bat For Lashes, Charlotte Gainsburg, Michelle Branch and of course Beck.

What’s the best thing about being an audio engineer?

For me it’s being able to work on music that I’d listen to for enjoyment. When you can do that it’s really fun.

What’s the worst thing about being an audio engineer?

I’d probably say just being indoors a lot. I love being outside.

What did you think when we contacted you regarding Liberty 2 Pro and why did you agree to work with us?

I was curious. I’ve not been a fan or user of earbuds, let alone true wireless ones much before, so it was intriguing. It stirred up my curiosity.

When you first heard Liberty 2 Pro in its final form what did you think?

I was really happy with the final product. They sound surprisingly like they’re plugged in.

Have your impressions of Liberty 2 Pro changed or have you noticed anything new?

Just now that the app has been updated I really like the sound of the Liberty 2 pro eq basic setting. It really makes things pleasant sounding.

Any other comments?

Nope.

What are your burning questions for @cassidyturbin?

11 Likes

Thanks @cassidyturbin for being part of the 10 who helped shape the sound of these earbuds.

A few quick questions if you don’t mind

1. What is your favorite music genre and why?
  2. What do you uh listen to when using the liberty 2 Pro?
  3. What would you change about the liberty 2 pro? Or the app?
  4. What would you compare the sound quality of these earbuds to? Like what brand and model
4 Likes

Thanks for the insight @cassidyturbin these 10 out of 10 posts are wetting my appetite further to have the earbuds in my ears as soon as possible (despite past fit issues with true wireless buds) :grin:

Following on a bit from one of @Tank questions, what is your favourite testing song for when you get a new headset, the one song where in the first few seconds you get a feel if the headset is going to be a true contender?

1 Like

Sweet.

@cassidyturbin I have a question. Since you’re a professional and everything- can you give a quick rundown of how you test earbuds or speaker when trying them for the first time?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks @cassidyturbin

Is there an anything you wish could’ve been improved upon? Or are we currently at the limitations of the technology?

What would you like to see in the next generation of earbuds?

1 Like

I think it would be nice to know what they got their awards so that we could maybe go listen to him/her. Maybe a little video of some of their music (if not for the pros but maybe if they do this for the next generation)

Second question answers how they got there awards :wink:

I was reading the list wondering when this was gonna be said lol

Pretty sure they were all from Beck albums. Morning Phase [2015] and Colors [2019].

Straight from the horses (well Grammy) mouth :grin:

I think that @Seth22 answer was more of what I was talking about when he said Beck. Who did they work with for their rewards. Now thinking about it, the video probably could not be done as that may run into so copyright laws or etc…

1 Like

Thanks for your questions. My favorite musical genre is probably Jazz. I like the improvisational aspect as well as the discipline In which most jazz records are recorded, both the older 40’s on up to the 70’s and even modern jazz. Usually there are very little overdubs and it’s all done live, for the most part.

I listen to anything and everything with the Liberty 2 Pro. I wouldn’t change anything about the Liberty 2 pros. But as far as the app goes, I’d make the EQ a bit more precise, and that’s about it!

I don’t really have a comparable comparison. I’ve tried Sennheizer, Beats By Dre, and ones made by Samsung and they all were much too hyped in the lows and were a bit murky sonically.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @cassidyturbin. Other community members are asking the same questions that I have.

3 Likes

Great question!
I don’t have ONE particular song I use when testing any headphones or speakers but I do have a playlist I use of a few songs that I’m really familiar with that spans genres. Here’s what’s on that playlist:

1. Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches
  2. Smino - Wild Irish Roses
  3. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
  4. Cornelius - Point of View Point
  5. Beck - Lazy Flies
  6. Storefront Church - Mystery Flavor
  7. Cass McCombs - County Line
  8. Sza- The Weekend
  9. Caetano Veloso - Os Passistas
  10. Brad Mehldau - Knives Out
5 Likes

Sure! I usually use songs I’m familiar with and am pleased with in how they sound. I pick music that I consider to be mixed well, have a good stereo field and a good balance. Basically music I’ve listened to a lot. Then I play it out of the speakers or earphones/buds. If I think they sound too different than what I’m used to hearing then I know something isn’t quite right for me with that product.

2 Likes

I do think we may be meeting limitations currently. I the next version of earbuds I’d like to be able to have an optional wired in-ear version! That way I can use them in the studio.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies :smiley:. I’ll definitely use all of this advice when testing out headset and earbuds in the future :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks so much, @cassidyturbin!! It’s great to be able to pick your brain! Great questions, and now I’m going to have to listen to all the songs on the playlist you suggested and your previous work!

2 Likes

Some great questions!!