504 timeout errors - how many suffering?

I am sure the “staff” here knows the admins.
So they could forward that issue.
But may be they don’t care about the performance.
May be they dont even read all the threads here.
I dont also.:joy:

That’s why you also PM because reading all messages is a moderator task.

Our role is raise profile and show its not a few users.

See what happened today on my smartphone (this is not a photomontage) :joy::
Errors:

1. @Craig_Paterson created thread: Photo Of the Week :joy:
1 Like

Not fully understanding, but I’d suggest put in a PM and/or email marketing@soundcore.com

When we see a “we know” reply we can stop letting them know, then give them space to fix.

May involve an outage, so tolerance, respect, understanding, as always.

Right now it appears the PM I sent isnt being read, so may be a PM error, so suggest email as an alternative path. Maybe the bug is not letting PM work so also email.

Keep attempting to inform, so the burden of proof is met.

Sean wrote me I should write a pm to a staff member.
There are “many” staff members. :roll_eyes:
I wrote a pm to Pei (ANKER).
May be he cares about.
At soundcourse its even worse.
I have to log in every time I use the forum.
Will not use often in the future. Boring!

There are many staff members I agree!

Just to be safe, just include all of us in the PM and you’ll get a response from at least one of us. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sean thanks for acknowledgement of the issue, yes please let us know when the fault and fix progress. Right now we may be in a false hope as if the cause is load related and a whole lot of users given up using you’re in a false reduced load calm.

I PM to 5 as any who showed recent activity, not all 12, of which only 1 - you Sean - read and reply next day.

Seems we did our job well now! :smile:

1 Like

Indeed and how many new users do we tell them to email product support and not vent in public as community members can’t fix what they don’t know. :muscle:

I started the thread to gather more data as AWS caches pages locally so you can get a geographical based issue, but from the geo distribution of the replies I could determine global.

1 Like

May be “thumb admins” was a little bit rude (Sorry)
But it helped at last! :joy:

Well no, we are only at the stage of problem acknowledge, not resolved. Right now we should back off and wait for a problem resolved message.

I think we’re in a quiet low load period right now and the timeout will return.

We don’t know who is admin, only a list of staff to scattergun blast via PM, one of which read it a day later.

The 504 error is an issue between the reverse proxy which acts as a cache, and the server. The fix it requires admin of the platform (discourse) to fix logical or DB errors, or the AWS account to fix VM autoscale and VM migration. None of those two admins are the crew who consume the platform like we do but they just have elevated permissions.

I could guess who is the admin, Jade is an early user, but not active now.

1 Like

I dont know much about this server probs.
Was not my job at all in the past.
I had to care about student’s problems and had to help them out
(tests etc)
Was a lot of psychology, not informatics.

But regarding those server problems :
I knew of course always one who knew it better than I. :laughing:

Right well you about speed of light?

A write has to be necessarily single threaded as only one thread can write, if two threads write they fight each other and corrupt.

As a site like this community has more lurkers and inactive users than active posters, it is common to have multiple caching servers who each hold a read-only copy of the site. When you do a post the write thread does the update then the read thread caches the update.

You scale as many read threads as required to make responsive for reading, often an autoscale parameter. You can’t scale writing the only thing you can do is make it have faster CPU and faster storage.

Hence the quick lesson in web based applications.

Now then, they have a vulnerability. They have 1.3M users. If they all tried to post at same time… The community will die for most users. They also don’t obviously have staff working weekends. Hence it’s only through luck it’s not crashed yet for a weekend.

1,3 millions?
At ANKER’s with similar issues we are about 10 active ones.
Here might be some more.

Well that’s exactly the point. The existence of many user accounts should not be a problem as they are mostly inactive.

The fact a new user is added a minute , when I looked, can be an issue as that’s a write event.

Can’t be new posts issue as it’s not particularly busy.

We just have to back off now and wait. They know and saying again won’t help now.

Not sure if Anker and Soundcore are interested in getting more users, with this kind of sluggish community access and errors,

How many more threads and posts are needed to get Admin & Moderator’s attention??

@Loz @Sean.l

Not sure if Anker and Soundcore are interested in getting more users, with this kind of sluggish community access and errors,

How many more threads and posts are needed to get Admin & Moderator’s attention??

@Loz @Sean.l

… got an error as I posted this :frowning:

Shenoy they know about it, we just have to wait for the admin they informed today for a fix.

Purpose of thread was to find how specific to users or geographic, we seem to have a global issue, they now know and I suggest we give them breathing space now to address.

The staff you see here aren’t the admin and they can only tell admin once…

I’d give admin overnight, so til tomorrow to do a fix. Seems to be single threaded write DB issue so I’d expect probably a short outage to migrate to faster storage or larger memory VM.

So if there is an outage it’s for good reasons.

I’m seeing 502 errors now.

1 Like

Thanks @The_Professor

Hope this resolves sooner!

1 Like

In the future, if you have any technical issues with the website please PM me @hannah or @william.ward

For your reference, this issue was reported and is currently being looked into, and the community will be updated as soon as I have an update from the IT team. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes