Loud portable speakers

And depends on the music you are listening to.
Often when a car is passing by I think those in there must be totally deaf.

“BOOM BOOM BOOM” The whole car is shaking,.

Buy shares from manufacturers of hearing aids!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Of course playing around with eq is very necessary.
And there is no adjustment fitting for all.
You have to find your own and this will take while and depend so much on the music you are playing.
You have to play around with these adjustments a lot.

1 Like

True but also most of human perception passes through brain processes which are biased to detecting change. So initially a sound may appear harsh because it’s different to what you’re used to , then you stop hearing the difference and then the next different speaker then sounds harsh, etc etc.

Half of the way to do a “custom EQ” is just ignoring it.

1 Like

True but at high volume the sound is really low quality on the motion boom plus
Looking into the Bose s1 pro as it looks like a bigger but interrelating option

There’s plenty of Boom Plus Vs … Videos now.

There’s a discussion of the sound and custom EQ here

He mentions sound quality at 8m10s in, and then shows a custom EQ he did to mitigate the sound quality at 10m38s

I’m happy with what I have, motion+ is plenty loud for me, sounds fine. In fact my tablets have stereo speakers so good I just use them and only need a speaker for my laptop, the Motion+ works well, when outside I use Frames to keep freedom and ambient sound.

1 Like

Thanks man
Great help from everyone
Amazing community

1 Like

I’ll add a couple of things:

1. I have 2 Motion Booms (not the +). When I added the second one absolute (maximum) volume increased substantially (iirc it went up by 7 db). When you add a second 1. Not only are you doubling the power, but also doubling the divers surface area. Not that I play them at Max, I was just testing.
  2. It would be bad forum to promote another companies speakers here. That being said I’m extremely happy with my 2 Motion Booms and highly doubt I could get anything comparable at the same price point, at least I haven’t heard anything.
2 Likes

Sound advice (pun)

I’d recommend anyone who wants to use TWS (two speakers) to buy them at the same time from the same store. There’s a small risk of different hardware versions and TWS needs identical hardware.

The advantage of two speakers is you’re going to experience typically on average louder sound as you are on average nearer one of the speakers.

The disadvantage of two speakers is TWS can be fiddly to get working for some, at least initially.

If speaker play time battery life is important then consider also having Anker Powercore connected to each to extend playing time.

1 Like

I was considering doing 2 motion booms but it’s a nuisance to being around 2 speakers the whole time

Why?
I am always using a pair of speakers in TWS mode.
It depends were you are using these.

1 Like

Often gonna be going out and about with them
Beach / pools / countryside
Much easier to have 1 thing to carry then 2

2 Likes

Have you played the Boom Plus you have at the volume level you want and measured battery life?

In theory that could be a problem as while the speakers have a huge 80W the battery within is 96Wh and there’s indirect evidence not all the 96Wh is available.

That may influence your decision.

The Motion+ has a 25Wh battery, quarter of the Boom+

OK I understand
But at home, I use my 2 Flares mini (TWS).
An I can tell you two of these are more than a double of sound .

Never forget the higher the volume the more the battery drains. :grin:

2 Likes

I understand, these are different use cases.

@Chiquinho you’re more using static as desk speakers (right?) while @md9p269m9n is more seeking outdoors portable speaker so is trying to have one thing to carry.

I still think a custom EQ is the answer here, as well as let customer feedback cause firmware updates.

1 Like

You know what many here think about that “customer’s eq”.
Such presettings may help ones, but others will not.
And they think these settings is “state of the art” which these are definitely NOT.
Eq setting is not such s simple thing only using such given one bý the app.

Too bad there are no LINUX users here.
But you are.
Have you ever tried that “pulseEffects” tool?
That’s the best speaker tuning tool I have ever seen,
Try it and lets talk about! :grinning:

1 Like

I am on a Chromebook now, while it is Linux it’s heavily tuned for battery life.

There will be trade off between loud and weight of speaker…

The rave series is quite a bit bigger, and meant for like tailgating… if not to concerned about weight, the rave mega I believe is the biggest one…

I have neither, so cannot opine the merits of either other than what’s generally available on YT…

Changing the topic slightly, isn’t a speaker with a higher peak Wattage should sound better even at not-loud as its harder to make distortion?

I.e. shouldn’t two Motion+ each 30W playing at 20W each so 2/3rds their max sound worse than one Boom+ playing at 40W so half its max?

I suspect given the Boom+ had a smaller battery, the argument for a Rave with bigger battery would return.

I also see the asks for lower latency Bluetooth.

So the next asks is for a low latency larger battery BT 5.3 “Partycast”.

The largest TSA standard maximum is 100Wh, the Boom Plus had 7.2V 6400mAh 46Wh cell, so you can still make a product double that maximum battery. BT 5.2+ supports multicast.

So, in effect, a Boom"++" is possible.