Your favorite Classic Rock & Roll Live Video Clips

I’m thinking Pre-MTV video clips of bands playing live (Not Lip Syncing). There are a few videos that when I see makes the hair stand up on my arms. You know those times when a band was really on and everything fell into place. Without further adieu, here’s two I hope you like.

Janis Joplin playing Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. Mama Cass Elliot is blown away and so am I. The best live video of Janis that I have ever seen.

Next up is Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird - 7/2/1977 - Oakland Coliseum Stadium. This blows me away every time I see it. They blow the roof off the Oakland Coliseum at about the 6 minute mark which is no easy feat since it has no roof. :grin:

3 Likes

@Steve976 Have you been to such concerts?
Do you play guitar🙂?

1 Like

I’ve been to 100’s of concerts. I saw just about everyone back in the day. Some really great shows. Mostly in the 70s and 80s. I can play guitar a little (not great). I was a singer in a band back in my younger days. I also can play drums a little.

1 Like

@Steve976 What band did you sing in?
You’ve seen it live: Queen, The Police, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, U2, The Beatles, …?
Which concerts do you remember the most?

1 Like

@sodojka The band I played in was just a 4 guys that went to High School together in the Detroit Area (I grew up just outside of Detroit, Michigan). No one you would have heard of.

As for the concerts, it was 100’s so I’ll just stick to highlights so I don’t bore people. Starting with the bigger names. Pink Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones , Santana, Queen, Rush, Bruce Springsteen, Bad Company, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Eagles, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, REO Speedwagon, Foghat, J Geils Band, Jethro Tull, Elton John, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, Kiss (2 rows from stage at the Olympia), Ted Nugent, Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow, Robin Trower, Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer, Cars, Foreigner, etc. I’m leaving out a lot of bands, but I think I’ll stop there unless someone big comes to mind that I missed (I’ll edit the post to include them which I already have done a couple of times).

Best Shows Rush (a great, highly underrated band), Santana, Stones, The Who (1st ever show at the Pontiac Slilverdome - over 80,000 in attendance), Alice Cooper, Queen, Bruce. Elton.

Bands that were good every time I saw them (Just Great Live Performers) - J Geils Band (saw them 5 or 6 times and it was always a party where people were dancing in the aisles). Samr with Foghat. Bob Seger was always good (saw him at least 5 times because he was from the Detroit Area - same with Ted Nugent).

As for bands that I didn’t see that I really wish I would have. Mostly because people died before I had the chance - Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin (I had 4 prime tickets in my hand when John Bonham passed away :sob:), SRV. I didn’t start going to concerts until around 1973 so unfortunately I missed those bands. The Beatles broke up before I ever had a chance to see them. I hope this post isn’t too long/boring

4 Likes

@Steve976 Thank you for your extensive reply.
You had a lot of musical experiences.You were lucky to see Queen- it must have been an amazing concert with Bohemian Rhapsody. I love the very forgotten The Cars .
M. Jackson, Whitney you didn’t want to see?
The city of Detroid is very close to me. My grandfather’s brother lived there: Henry Opitek became the first patient to survive open heart surgery in 1952(mechanical heart ).

2 Likes

I’m more of a classic rocker, however I vaguely recall seeing the Jackson 5 when I was pretty young. Being from Motown (another name for Detriot) I also saw Diana Ross and The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, and The Temptations to name a few of the Motown Artists.

1 Like

Here’s a couple more of my favorite videos.

Love this version of Won’t get fooled again. John Entwistle was a fabulos Bass Player, Keith Moon was one of the greatest drummers that ever lived, and Pete Townshend was great in his own right. Roger was also a top notch front man.

Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon. IIRC this was a rehearsal before a TV show they were playing on. Stevie Nicks was on fire. I love this video…

I guess I can play a mean Kazoo. :rofl: I basically did not get to concerts when I was young as most of these would not come near my state. First, it more country in nature and two, the venue would be too small most times.

Although we do get several big names though. We are their kink show. We are the show they first start out on to work out the kinks for the bigger cities. :rofl:

1 Like

I was lucky in that respect growing up in the Detroit area. All the bands came to town quite often. A lot of the big live albums were recorded here. Bob Seger Live Bullet, Kiss Alive, J Geils Band Live Full House and Blow Your Face Out - Although living in Boston, the band had always considered [Detroit their second home because of their enormous popularity there. Two of their three live albums were recorded in Detroit at various venues. The third live album was recorded in Detroit and Boston.), etc. This is just off the top of my head. I’m sure I’m missing some. Cobo Arena was a great place to see concerts and the sound was top notch.

The list of live shows you attended is impressing :+1:

1 Like

Thank You. I always tell people “I may be old but I saw all the great bands” lol

1 Like

The Stones way back in 1968. Brian Jones was still with us (RIP)

2 Likes

Ability to see live performances highly depends on place you live :rofl:

1 Like

So many great songs classic rock was what I grew up listening too

1 Like

@Steve976
Something from Poland:
Maanam, an extremely popular band in the 1980s

1 Like

Excelent performance by Rolling Stones. As always.

1 Like

A few of my favourites

2 Likes

@VertigoXX Nice, Great Selection! I’m not sure if you ever heard the Hendrix version of Like a Rolling Stone from Monterey Pop. I love that version. He has a couple of lines like “This by Bob Dylan and that’s his Grandma over there”. Then later in the song he says “Yes I know I missed a verse but don’t worry”. Classic Jimi.

2 Likes

@Steve976 Thanks for sharing. Never heard it before. Nice.

1 Like