What would your dream Headphones have?

@Chiquinho I checked this and I have LDAC on my Android smartphone and I am very happy with it.
@Duane_Lester ave instructions in one of the threads on how to check it on a smartphone.

3 Likes

In near future, I am expecting the Soundcore Life Series headsets going mainstream for Work from Home calling applications, and a dedicated mute button is a must. If not Soundcore, may be Anker might use this route with its AnkerWork suite of products.

1 Like

This would be really great for users with some skills.

But the more software which can be altered (programed :wink: )
by the users, the more problems they will create…

Honestly I’m not really sure how much more I expect from head phones unless companies innovate further. Right now mastering the basics is more important for me than all fancy bells and whistles

3 Likes

But my problem is that Apple products mostly don’t support LDAC.

2 Likes

Very true but we can all dream :slight_smile:

Right now though I do feel that SoundCore are hitting the right notes.

1 Like

I do use the MacBook for Qobuz, I just make sure I use auxiliary for hi res stuff on it.

1 Like

@aj71 Hmm … then you are unlucky🙁.
For the first time, I’m glad I don’t have anything with Apple🙂.

2 Likes

@Tj1311 Qoboz costs a lot - I think $ 30 a month.:slightly_frowning_face: And the music repertoire is quite small - poor.

1 Like

Agree with you but if you master basics you get good reputation but not much money.

Flashy whizzbang headline specs is what sells unfortunately.

So something not breaking. I had the wired in-ear Slim buds, they’d fail at the same point, where the wire went into the bud, then by the 3rd iteration they fixed it and I got a 10 hour battery life didn’t fall out of ear good value $20 product, bought 2 and swap between them when charging. Worked, nothing wrong with it. But Anker / Soundcore made $40 from me. They are now selling often > $100 products which are brand new and not a refined iteration slowly getting more reliable.

I can see $200 products coming (extrapolating).

3 Likes

So then I guess my dream headphones would be ones that focus on quality for the customer instead of getting the customer to have to continually spend money.

3 Likes

to a significant degree, if you go deliberately for older headphones, released months to a year ago, then bugs are fixed and the worst of the manufacturing faults have been fixed in the factory from the warranty returns. So buy something released a year ago for the best quality.

Buying what is released recently then has the most bugs and flaws to fix.

3 Likes

@The_Professor
You hit on 10.:+1:t2: This is what I always do, and it is most profitable when buying smartphones that last a few months. The price reductions are huge!:grin:

1 Like

My previous headphones had tap / double tap option for both sides of the headphones.
This was programable, so you chose what you wanted the tap/double taps to do.

Having some Google Nest Minis, these also have a tap function to adjust the volume.

In both of these devices it looks like the microphones are used for tap detection.

2 Likes

Color is irrelevant,
Psycho acoustic DSP to remove the annoying “in head” sound effect, while widening the sound stage.

1 Like

Expanding the list… Hopefully this could be added to my Q35s as an update.

1. The hand on the right cup to toggle transparent to also pause playback.
    (I end up needing to do both in order to listen).
    It’s currently easier to pull the right earpiece away from my ear.

2. Enable tap response (like the volume change on google home devices, where the microphones are used to detect it). A tap is quicker than feeling for a button.
    2a Enable on both side, for single and double taps.
    2b Have it programable - users select/configure the 4 possible actions from a pull down list (Mute/Pause etc)

3 Add APTX support

3 Likes

aptx would be nice addition

2 Likes

I wonder if APTX can be added via a firmware update or if you need a specific chipset? I was reading an article that said APTX HD is hardware based, not software.

3 Likes

From what I read APTx can be hardware or software (firmware) based.
But there are some challenges.
Hardware based will use less power than software based, so adding as software will affect battery life and you need enough processing power as well.
It’s built into some broadcom chips so a major redesign is needed for a hardware version.
Lastly, it isn’t free. Including APTx means buying a license from Broadcom, which puts the cost up.
It’s a similar story with LDAC which is owned by Sony.

Bottom line is that it’s unlikely to be added by a firmware update and would be a feature you pay for by purchasing new headphones.

3 Likes

I’ll not “vote” against any tap or double tap feature, my only ask is anything on the side where accidental taps can occur can be programmed disabled.

Headphones don’t need side tap sensing for the key functions (volume, pause) but agree that space can be a useful programmable place for those who want.

Sleeping with headphones on requires all tapping disabled. If Soundcore doesn’t allow a disable, they’ll be causing an inevitable negative review from accidental taps. So now we’re co-inventing the next headphones, and they’ve read these words, that won’t happen.

2 Likes